husband needs encouragement pills

maxie1
on 4/7/11 9:10 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Hi,
  Just needed to vent.  Men close your ears..  I told my husband I lost 7 lbs what do you think, and his reply was you will put it back on next week eating pizzas. 
  I wanted to kill him.!!!!   He knows how hard it is for me to loose the weight and I get so excited when I do and he never can just be happy with me.  Always has to throw a dig, or negative comment to me. 

No wonder I slip all the time I get more praise from you guys that I don't even know.. So I just wanted to vent thanks for listening.

thisbe777
on 4/7/11 9:16 am
have you called him on it?  have you said "darlin', it's important to me to have your support, and when i hear you say things like that, it is very discouraging. It would mean so much to me to get a more positive response from you.  i need you to be on my side in this!"

if he doesn't change his tune after you bring it to his attention, you have a choice of ignoring him or not sharing things like that with him.  in the end, it's up to you whether it defeats you and you "slip"....

hang in there!!

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

maxie1
on 4/7/11 9:21 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
Thanks. I will call him on it again and ask more for his support.  I don't think he means it but it hurts when he says things or false praise. 
susan                                                                                                
sublimate
on 4/7/11 9:26 am - San Jose, CA
I think that I would be doing exactly what Jeris said.. call him on it. You have to tell people sometimes what you need/want from them in terms of expectations. Sometimes you have to explain it in multiple ways.

Now if you explain it and they understand it, and they don't change.. then you have a problem. Maybe he was joking or had some other reason for his comment.. give him the benefit of the doubt but once he knows better and you make your needs clear, then you need to take some further action if he continues.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 10:02 am
 OK this is a little tongue in cheek, but if your husband is anything like mine, I would know just how to make sure he never did that again.  The next time he makes a suggestion that maybe it's time to go upstairs if you know what I mean, I would tell him, maybe later, I am too busy eating pizza and putting the pounds back just as you predicted.  This would be followed by " the look".  Ouch, message received.   :)  Sometimes you have to speak in ways they understand.  
TeriMac10
on 4/7/11 10:40 am
Husbands can be replaced.  Let him know that fact. LOL.
FatJuicyMouse
on 4/7/11 11:02 am - Rigby, ID
Aw, don't get rid of him. Husbands are trainable - if you speak plainly and bluntly with no hinting around about what kind of support you need from him. My husband went from not even knowing what century my weight included to trotting over to look every time I weigh myself and congratulating me. If he misses a weigh-in, he makes a point to ask me what it was. And he doesn't care if I lose an ounce, he just knows how important it is to me. Getting him to this point took several conversations where I sat his butt down and turned off the tv so he would look at ME. Seems not everything bounced off the old boy's noggin!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views