Tube or mask

Susan0714
on 4/7/11 10:33 pm - Kenner, LA
When the doctor put you guys under for the surgery, what type of anesthesia, did they use?

Was it delivered by mask in the operating room, or did they put a tube down your throat?

Thanks,

Susan
Linda B.
on 4/7/11 10:37 pm - CA
They put you under 1st with the mask. Once you are asleep they will intubate(tube in your throat) you. It comes out before you wake up so you don't even remember it except for sometimes a scratchy throat for a few days.
Linda B
Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

Susan0714
on 4/7/11 10:54 pm - Kenner, LA
Thanks Linda..

BJUpNorth
on 4/7/11 11:04 pm, edited 4/7/11 11:05 pm - MN
Yep, that is how they did me too. First was a mask and they have you take several deep breaths then bye-bye! That is all I remember. Then they will intubate you during surgery and take it out when they are done. And yes, I have a bit of a scratchy throat and voice now, but nothing bad.
Brenda

viola_120
on 4/8/11 1:35 am - FL

The took me to the pre-op and then gave me a shot and I don't even remember being taking to surgery nor recovering room.  One minute I was waiting to be taken back, the next I was waking up in my hospital room.  So, I think I got a shot

HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
emelar
on 4/8/11 1:39 am - TX
I never saw a mask.  The IV was in before I got to the OR, the anesthesiologist said "I'm giving you something to relax" and then I was waking up in recovery.  But you're definitely intubated.  And the surgeon also sticks a tube down your throat (usually a bougie) to act as a guide to staple your stomach.  My throat was raw when I woke up.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views