Protein Powder Help, Please!

ahleeeshah
on 4/20/11 9:27 am
I am having a slight problem with protein in that all of it tastes absolutely miserable. I got Oh Yeah vanilla creme, unflavored Unjury, chicken soup unjury, and grape Isopure. The Oh Yeah tastes like bad cake powder with a pound of sugar in it. The unflavored unjury is not unflavored, and the chicken soup one makes me gag. I loved the grape Isopure before surgery, and now I have to combine it with grape kool-aid to even get it down.

My mom is taking me out tomorrow to get some other types that I will hopefully like more. Can any of you give me some recommendations for protein powders that don't taste horrible?

Jenijeni
on 4/20/11 9:37 am
I like Designer Whey Chocolate, but I doctor it up with cocoa powder or SF Caramel Torani syrup and I always mix it with skim milk and ice. I also like the EAS Vanilla... Use it to make 5-minute cakes and protein ice cream. I know lots of folks like Jay Robb, but I can't stand it! LOL... Everyone's tastes are so different!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

evilelf
on 4/20/11 9:38 am
When you find it post your reply, I also purchased unjury did not like it. I just purchased Oh Yeah but bought the ready made had not tried it yet.
MELMEL308
on 4/20/11 9:46 am - PA
I like Atkins advantage. The chocolate ones are good and vanilla is too.. the strawberry could probably use some dockering because to me, it leaves a nasty after taste...but then again, i am pre-op.. i was going to buy the unjury soup powder but now you have me worried...good luck!
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 10:08 am
 Your taste buds will play tricks on you for a while.

I like the red and green color isopure ready to drink, it has to be refrigerated and sometimes on ice.  The grape and orange aren't bad...just not my first choices.

If you like fruit taste better than milky drinks Nectar has a lot of good choices, Lemonade, Cherry, and Fuzzy Navel are all pretty good, I will be trying a couple of more flavors next payday.  The secret to this stuff for me is to mix it the day before you drink it, put it in a shaker, shake the hell out of it, let it settle overnight, swish/shake gently to mix the settled protein at the bottom and the stuff at the top into the liquid.

Muscle Milk and EAS Myoplex are both good, both ready to drink, flavored like vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry (I like all but strawberry).  Again, must be served cold or almost frozen.

Ultimately I can't say I would drink any of these for the taste or pleasure, they taste alright, have very little aftertaste to me, and I have found that I much prefer the fruit flavored ones to the milky ones.  I was not able to tolerate any protein drink at all for a month or two without gagging.  Just don't throw away any you don't like right now, you might be able to stomach them later.

Bariatric Advantage chocolate and vanilla are two powders that are pretty good with 2% protein enriched milk and ice.

This is the expensive and frustrating part of the journey, just remember what you don't like today you might like tomorrow and good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 10:35 am
Try bariatriceating.com. I just bought her book-excellent btw-she recommends PURE brand unflavored protein she sells it on the website along with recipes to get you going. I have no personal experience with it tho.... Maybe a help?
momokc
on 4/20/11 10:36 am
 Vitalady.com has some real good flavors plus they have samples for $2 each so you can try before you get a big jar of it!  Michelle and Don who own vita lady are both bariactric surgery patients. That is why they started their website/business is because they didn't like some of the protein drinks that were out there.  They are very knowledgeable on what we need.  Check them out!  They also do a Vita Tour every year and are on the road right now.  Their website tells where they are so check it out and maybe they will be in your town this year and you can actually meet and talk to them!  

Granny

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views