How did you finally decide to have surgery?

MediumSoon
on 4/21/11 3:20 pm - TX
I had done every diet imaginable (for YEARS), exercised regularly and I GAINED weight. Yep. Didn't lose - I gained. After I gave it one last effort (last summer), went to boot camp, did South Beach diet Phase 1 religiously, and GAINED weight (and no, it wasn't muscle - my pants were tighter). At that point I realized I could either live fat or have surgery - that I had sooooooooo messed up my metabolism there was no way I would ever get down to a normal size without surgery.

By the way, I like the way you asked the question. Everyone makes their decision differently, and for different reasons. You are doing the right thing by asking others about their experience. You will make the right decision for YOU - at the right time for YOU. Don't let anyone else tell you what to do.
LittleMissSunshine
on 4/21/11 4:45 pm
In the space of 2 years, my mother suffered a stroke, a heart attack and had the breast cancer she'd had several years before return and metasticize in her bones.  She passed away at 72.  Had she lead a healthier lifestyle (she was morbidly obese until the cancer started to take hold), there's not a doubt in my mind that she'd still be here today. 

Not a day goes by that I don't think about her and about what my childhood might have been like if she'd had more energy.  I don't want my 4 year old son to look back on his own childhood and remember me as a chair-bound spectator; I want to be able to chase him around, go bike riding, walk around Disneyland without needing a break every so often, etc.

I'm 35, I'm not getting any younger and I've already wasted so much time... I don't want to waste any more.  I have 2 friends who've had RNY and 3 who've had the lapband.  I don't know anyone that's done the VSG (aside from the lovely folks here), but based on the research I've done, I know it's the right choice for me for the reasons detailed above.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

frisco
on 4/21/11 5:37 pm

Used up all my bullets.......

Didn't have another diet left in me.......that could lose 100+ pounds and keep it off......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

chinasl45
on 4/21/11 10:35 pm - Harrisburg, PA
I am 45 years old and I just couldn't do 1 more diet! I have all of the diseases that everyone has mentioned before me so I wont bore you with those details but since I gotten the 6 week liquid diet and surgery, blood pressure is down and no more diabetic meds!! I had started with the program in Jan 2010 but I knew I was doing the right thing when on vacation (we are amusement park vacationers) I could only ride the roller coasters who had seats for "larger" guests......
PSW 268 and Height is 5'10, SW was 241.6, GW is 170, CW is 160   

KrisJ77
on 4/22/11 12:46 am - TX
I went to the seminar to find out about lap band (I had been pondering it for 2 years)....when the surgeon started talking to us about the sleeve and that it was permanent but doens't have the same issues as gastric - we all jumped ship! I was motivated from that day!!  I went to the seminar in November - completed my pre req's and had surgery 1/31/11.  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!  I was in a size 20 and now I am in a size 16.  I even have my shirt tucked in today and an wearing a belt.  Something I have not done in more than 5 years!! 

pinkypromise93
on 4/22/11 1:22 am

I have tried so many diets: atkins, weigh****chers numerous times, south beach, low calorie, plain low carb, nutrisystem, etc. The most successful I have ever been is a loss of 50 lbs then nothing more. I thought I was healthy! I began to research WLS and the different types. I also read the stories of others. The good and the bad. I have went through the fear, failure thoughts and have surpassed them. I went in wanting the gastric bypass and after speaking with my surgeon decided on the sleeve. I started all my testing and find out I had sleep apnea, a hiatal hernia, and I have suffered with GERD for quiet some time. So my thought of I was healthy immediately needed a checkup, lol. I realized then that my decision to do this is not a question of should I or shouldn't I. As someone else told me, Damned if you don't! This is our health and we are our own advocates. I haven't discussed my choice with family or friends, my husband and children are the only ones. I made up my mind and feel it's the best thing for me. I am looking forward to using my new tool and getting healthy ;-) Good Luck to you on your decision!

B. Bap
on 4/22/11 7:14 am
I want to tell me story, but it has been told by every single person that has posted before me.

I have not had surgery yet, but I know that it is the best thing for me. I have a blessed life (and I have issues) but I cannot continue to live my life being ok with being the fun fat girl. I want to run and play football and not feel like I am going to collapse and I want to jog and run hell even walk fast and not feel like I am going to take my last breath. I want to know what it feels like to be light on my feet. I want to wear my heels again (I'll deal with those health issues later). I want my head to stop swallowing my face. I want to be able to fit into a normal size bathroom stall and not feel like I am performing a magic trick.
I could go on and on but what made me make this decision was that I wanted a better quality of life and I did not want to be a slave to my weight. And I have tried to do it on my on and I don't have the will power or the conviction to do it on my own, forever. I love food, enjoy eating delicious food I enjoy preparing a meal for my loved ones. I want to continue to do that but to have the restriction to stop. I choose the sleeve because it allowed to continue to do this WITH a restriction.

Do your research on the different types of procedures. Do you research within yourself to how you got this way and what will need to change once you make your decision.

For me at this point in my life, this is the scariest thing that I have signed up to do. But I am following through with it. The thinner healthier girl that lives inside of this fat body has had enough.

Good luck to you. Sorry for the long posting. But I hoped it helps.
KnitterNY
on 4/22/11 8:16 am - NY
Thank you, thank you to all for your  replies and support!
Most Active