only 3 days liquid diet b4 VSG

sonyagettinghealthy
on 4/21/11 1:14 am - CA
Hi everyone! i'm new to all this but am learning alot from the posts on here. My VSG is Mon 4/25 & my Dr told me I have to be on liquid diet for 3 days before surgery. I've noticed some of you had to go on liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. Should i be concerned?
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:18 am
No- every Drs plan is different.. I had only to do a low-carb 1 week prior. The purpose isn't to make your liver smaller (though they all call it a liver shrinking diet..) it's to use up the glycogen on and in your liver so it's less floppy & slippery and easier to hold out of the way.. Follow your Drs plan though.. 
godknowsican
on 4/21/11 1:20 am - MD
Congratulations!
My surgery is scheduled for monday 4/25 also.

And yes I was supposed to be on all liquids for 2 weeks. I've cheated a few times. But I'm 100% determined to stay on liquids now thru surgery Monday.

I guess its up to the individual surgeons.  I meet with mine tomorrow for my Pre-op appointment.

Good luck to you!

LaShaun

Valk
on 4/21/11 2:05 am - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
As Jo has said, every doctor's plan is different. My surgeon only requires a clear liquid diet the day before, and really it's more of a stomach empty and bowel prep (milk of magnesia).
Kaiser Orange County - Surgery with Pacific Bariatric at Scripps Mercy Hospital
HW : 272 (6/10)   /   SW: 243 (3/15/11)   /   CW: 184 (9/1/11)

I just realized, I've lost my 9 year old!  Next goal?  Losing the 4 year old!
DragonGirl
on 4/21/11 4:07 am - MN
My plan was the same as Valks! =)
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
JenCat84
on 4/21/11 2:25 am
I didn't have a liquid diet at all. Just a restrictive 2 week eating plan and nothing excep****er for 12 hours before surgery. GL!

I started at 324lbs and a size 26.  After losing 100 lbs, I became pregnant with my first daughter, who was born in March 2011.  My second daughter was born in September 2013.  I have maintained a healthy lifestyle and now hover around 160lbs.  I would like to get back to the 140lbs before I became pregnant with my second daughter.  The sleeve literally gave me LIFE - two beautiful, healthy little girls.  My husband had his VSG with Dr. Marema on 10/1/2012 and is on his weight loss journey, currently down 90lbs. 

George B.
on 4/21/11 3:00 am - Miami, FL
My doctor does not have a pre-op diet requirement. I ate whatever I wanted till 12 hours prior to surgery. My surgery went great, recovery was amazing and I've lost 100% of my excess weight.

You have nothing to be concerned about. Consider yourself lucky to not have to endure a 2 week pre-op diet.

Best of luck,
George

katier825
on 4/21/11 5:07 am
Some doctors base the length of time on liquid pre-op diet on the patients BMI. 
Donna09
on 4/21/11 5:31 am - CA
I only had the 3 day clear liquid diet also.  Be thankful! 
Heidi V.
on 4/21/11 6:45 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
Mine requires a 2 week liquid diet. I am on my 4th day. I'm finding it really hard.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views