Pre-op diet

traceymetzger
on 4/25/11 10:55 am - MO
My surgery is May 2nd, one week from today. I started the liquid diet this past saturday and it sucks. I got to reading and most Dr's only require a 3 day liquid diet. How many days did you all have to do it? And... did anyone cheat just a little bit?
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/11 11:03 am
I was on liquids for two weeks pre-op.  Clear liquids for 3 days pre-op.  My surgeon said it was to be sure my gut was completly emptied out.
It was easier than I thought it would be.  And my recovery was a snap.

It made it easier for me to stay on the full liquid afterward.
tammyd1962
on 4/25/11 11:10 am
my surgery is may 9th!  i have stay on the liquid diet for 2 wks.  today is my first day.  sorta sucks!  but it will get better as the days go on i'm sure. 
good luck on your surgery!!
armywifen00
on 4/25/11 11:21 am - OK
 I was on a liquid diet for 2 wks prior to surgery. 
For my doc, it was making sure the liver was reduced in size as well as not as 
slippery. 
I started 4 weeks out doing a liquid 3 days a week, I knew I was not going to be 
a very nice person to be around if I just went cold turkey like that! 
I think it really helped me, although it was very boring and limited!!

I did cheat - during the actual 2 wk phase - I had a horrible day, and many things
were going on - i went to a local drive in to get my family some dinner after baseball
practice ...... I all of a sudden heard myself ordering my fav meal from there - foot long 
chili dog, onion rings and pepsi.
I can say that I ate it so fast i did not taste much of it. It was quite funny - then I had 
a terrible stomach ache to last through the night! :P 
I guess that is what I get! 

Hang in there!!! 

Hugs and prayers!

Lavonda1
on 4/25/11 11:34 am - Canada
 Hi In Ottawa On they put us on a three wk optifast diet which is 900 cals a day plus we can have 1 cup low sodium broth sf jello and sf popsicles decaf coffee or tea and use upto 1/4 cup skim milk this is to shink the liver My surg explained that if they just needed to clean out the gut bowl and intestine it could be done with meds in very short order The first three days are the worst.  if after that you do cheat it sorta starts the fasting process allover again so you really dont gain
Light Love & Peace
Kevin

Andie_2011
on 4/25/11 11:43 am
Is optifast diet a protien shake diet?  What does it consist of?

Thanks and good luck!

Andrea
sun_shyne39
on 4/25/11 11:48 am - NJ
My surgery is also on May 9th and my dr. requires me to be on 2 week pre op diet also.  I actually started today and I'm feeling really good and haven't had any issues other than using the bathroom alot.  I think the protein shakes are giving me alot of energy. I can also have broth, SF jello/popsicles, and non carbonated SF drinks.  
sun_shyne39      
Courtney_Erin
on 4/25/11 1:51 pm - TX
My surgery is May 5th and a pre-op diet was not suggested by my surgeon. I thought that was odd/uncommon so I even called to be sure, but was told that this is done to "shrink the liver" and isn't necessary. After reading about all the pre-op diets here, I'm confused....
ksing6691
on 4/25/11 2:51 pm - Sacramento, CA
Girl just consider yourself lucky, please dont  question it. lol I wish I didnt have to do a liquid diet or at least have 1 meal a day. I would enjoy that. I jus believe your doctor has good skills. He probably has done many of these surgeries and is very comfortable with his work.

Im on a 2 week liquid diet and I have my surgery on May 4th the day before yours.  

Good luck.

Kisha

traceymetzger
on 4/25/11 9:13 pm - MO
Thank you everyone, I dont feel like the lone ranger now. I did cheat, I had a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter.  I am really , really trying, I dont want to show up for surgery on monday and be turned away because of a fat liver, that would be crushing. Ok,,,, IM GONNA DO THIS, IM GONNA DO THIS.... BTW, did I mention I love this website?
Most Active