Food/Drink Question

Randy G.
on 5/2/11 12:20 pm - TX
VSG on 04/26/11 with
I recently had the sleve surgery on Tuesday of last week.  I have read that some people have delveloped an intolerance to milk/milk products.  For those that have, how did that manifest for you, and were you lactose intolerant prior to surgery.   Thanks for the information.

Randy
Valerie K.
on 5/2/11 12:24 pm - Dearborn, MI
I was not lactose intolerant before surgery. But now I think I am. When I drink milk or eat cereal with milk I have to run to the bathroom. My stomach starts to get up set and cramp than I need to run.

Now I drink soy milk it is good now that I am use to it.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Marcus M.
on 5/2/11 12:48 pm - TX
I can still drink milk but if you cant soy milk is very good. Silk chocolate milk is the same calories as skim milk and taste much better.

01/18/11 Pre-op: 411   01/31/11 Surgery: 396 

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 12:54 pm
I have switched to Almond Milk as I have thyroid problems and those with thyroid problems are not supposed to drink or eat soy products.  I do like the almond milk more than the soy so I am lucky I guess...
aintstoppin
on 5/3/11 8:48 am - NH
 I have a thyroid problem as well and never heard that.  thanks for the info but why is that so, if you know.  It doesn't really matter cause I have never wanted to even try it  

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/11 9:52 am
My Dr told me when I was diagnosed with hypothyroid to avoid all soy products.  I have googled it and while I don't know why you shouldn't  I found lots of info stating it. 
Hislady
on 5/3/11 5:35 am - Vancouver, WA
Lactaid will also help if you do want to eat dairy foods without problems. My symptoms were incredible cramping and gas pains when eating dairy foods. Lactaid gives you the enzyme needed to digest it.
Michelle F.
on 5/3/11 6:10 am
I was mildly lactose intolerant before my sleeve revision with milk...Lactaid milk or soy milk took care of that.  Now all bets are off!  Cheese, yogurt, SF frozen yogurt, sometimes even the Lactaid milk or soy milk will give me the worst gas pains ever!  I now take 2 Lactaid chewables when I eat anything dairy and even that doesn't always help.  Maybe it will get better as time goes on, I'm only 9 weeks out...who knows.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Randy G.
on 5/4/11 12:08 pm, edited 5/4/11 12:09 pm - TX
VSG on 04/26/11 with
Thanks everyone for the great info. I apparently do not have an issue with skim milk so far, so perhaps it will not be a problem for me!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views