Damn STALL...I HATE U!

tdenise8958
on 5/4/11 11:08 am - CO
Viola, thanks for the encouragement!
Miss_C
on 5/4/11 9:50 am - Southern, CA
VSG on 01/31/11 with
Kick it's ass tdenise hahaha.  No but seriously the scale will move soon I promise! Hang in there and keep doing whatcha doing cuz you're doing so good!
*Hugs* Missy

January Sleevers:
 http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Jansleeves/discussion/

Consult Weight 254             SW 212          CW 154           GW 120 

Ask Not What Your Sleeve Can Do For You But What You Can Do For Your Sleeve!

Mike Mo
on 5/4/11 10:21 am - Winnetka, CA
I can't say I know this for a fact, but what I have read is that interval training works much better for weight loss than lengthy continuous exercise. Instead of walking 45 minutes, see if you can find some way to do short bursts of maximum intensity. Assuming that you aren't ready for running, this could be on a stationary bike, or a treadmill set to a high incline. Do a few minutes at maximum intensity, then do low intensity until you recover, then another interval of maximum intensity, and alternate like that. You probably don't need to do more than four or five intervals, which means your workout will be more like 30 minutes or even less. If "maximum intensity" sounds too intense, then do the highest intensity that is comfortable and safe and work your way up. Interval training is more interesting than continuous training, too.

Interval training is like "reps" for the cardiovascular system. In strength training, your muscles can develop strength by doing a relatively small number of reps. It's brief periods of high exertion that trigger the physiological changes, and you'll get stronger by doing a few reps with high weight than by doing many reps at low weight. Turns out the same thing is true for the cardiovascular system.
heathermc44
on 5/4/11 10:56 am - Bremerton, WA
 I couldn't agree more with Mike Mo.  Interval training can really kick up the fat loss.  If you think about our early **** sapien ancestors, they walked everywhere so they were conditioned to do long steady workouts but if that saber tooth tiger was after you, you could run like heck.  Then when the danger was over, you would go back to walking.  I don't know the whole technical terminology but when you do short bursts you are tarketing the fat stores but when you are doing long, slow, steady you are using the glycogen from the day's eating.  I know this probably is a little confusing but I do believe it.  

tdenise8958
on 5/4/11 11:11 am - CO
Mike, wow, all of what you said makes perfect sense! I'm going.definately start this on my treadmill tonite! You've lit a spark...hoping it can help jump start the scale on a downward motion!
Mike Mo
on 5/4/11 1:09 pm - Winnetka, CA
Go for it! Start with brief periods of high-intensity exercise, like one minute each. I've seen some studies on rats that showed just five minutes a day of high-intensity exercise produced the same cardiovascular changes as another group that did THREE HOURS a day of moderate exercise. Be careful, don't hurt yourself, and you really don't need more than five to ten minutes of the high-intensity stuff.

Caveat: I'm not an expert on this, but the studies I've read seem to back it up.

tdenise8958
on 5/5/11 12:11 am - CO
Mike, thanks. It's definately worth a shot and its definately not going to hurt to try to mix things up a bit! I did incline on treadmill last night, ran for a minute, then back to walking. Boy, did that get my heart rate up. After 15 minutes of alternating back and fourth, I felt like I had an hour workout.
  Lost 12 pounds during pre-op diet

Mike Mo
on 5/5/11 2:01 am - Winnetka, CA
Good for you! How long did you spend in the low-intensity periods? You can do low-intensity for as long as it takes to get your breath back. You might do one minute of high-intensity followed by four minutes of low-intensity. That kind of thing.

tdenise8958
on 5/5/11 5:51 am - CO
I did exactly that, let my heart rate go back to normal before I room off on a one minute sprint!
Karen M.
on 5/4/11 10:21 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14
I pray you are keeping your measurements because I can almost beat you that you're losing inches while the scales are standing still. I just went through a 2 week stall and lost a lot of inches during those two weeks. You'll see. You're doing just fine.

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views