9 days post op and I have cellulitis on my stomach!

elle31
on 5/7/11 7:28 am, edited 5/7/11 7:42 am
I had surgery last Thursday and I just found out today I have cellulitis. I am really scared about this. I have had pain and a large baseball sized red area on my stomach above my belly button for the last four days. It has been hot to the touch and super painful. I talked to a friend of mine who is a Dr. in another state. She said from what I described I have cellulitis and to go to the Dr. TODAY.

Sooo I did. As soon as I pulled my shirt up the Dr. said oooooh you have cellulitis. He said he needs to see me again tomorrow (they have a walk in clinic on Sunday's- thank goodness) and I got a shot in my butt.

I have also been referred to have a sonogram and see a general surgeon since my surgery took place in Mexico. He said there is the possibility I would have to have surgery to drain fluid beneath the skin.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this- I am really worried!

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 7:33 am, edited 5/7/11 7:43 am
No exp, but please report it to Dr. A's office as well so they can keep good stats on their complication rates.

ETA: Was there a reason you didn't head to your PCP as soon as you noted a painful expanding area of redness? In the release paperwork they specifically instruct post ops in bold lettering that if your scars get red, you have a fever or they are painful and tender you need to go to your PCP as soon as possible , these could be signs of infection.
julyxo84
on 5/7/11 8:17 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 I didn't have celulitis but i did have a rash type all around my belly button.

And I've had celulitis on my leg and that wasn't fun at all :( Hope you're feeling better.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

Mary R.
on 5/7/11 8:26 am - OH
I had a big red circle where the removed my stomach, it was tender and warm and they put me on IV antibiotics right away....I have also had it in my leg 3 times and it hurt like hell but they always got rid of it with IV antibiotics.
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" 
"Get busy living, or get busy dying" 

elle31
on 5/7/11 8:41 am
Thanks for the responses. I just hope the shot I got today does the trick.

Jo777- I emailed Dr. Aceves office today to let them know.

Thanks again everyone!

njmom5870
on 5/7/11 11:17 am
What would cause this to happed????
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

elle31
on 5/7/11 1:21 pm
The Dr. said it has to be from one of my incisions. I have an incision in my belly button and it is red there and spreads up above it and to the side. The pain is pretty bad, which has me worried.

Nicki88
on 5/7/11 11:38 am
I hope the dr gets this taken care of tomorrow.  Maybe the shot will clear it all up?  Hopefully!  I will be thinking about you and praying for a speedy recovery.  Let me know what Dr. A's office says!
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
elle31
on 5/7/11 1:19 pm
Thanks Nicole! I will keep you posted.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views