Weight loss prior to surgery

tpasicznyk
on 5/7/11 3:41 am
I am scheduled for surgery on June 7.  I have to lose a total of 15 pounds prior or I will be moved.  I have to do 2 weeks of protein prior to surgery and know I will lose some weight doing that, any suggestions on how I can accomplish 15 pounds in a month?!  HELP!!
Mary R.
on 5/7/11 3:49 am - OH
I had to cut out sugar completely except natural sugar in fruits and in dairy.  I also did low carb and that seemed to help me lose quite a bit in the week i had to do it.  Im a heavyweight though so I know that contributed to me losing so much (plus water weight). Good Luck =)
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" 
"Get busy living, or get busy dying" 

sianabob
on 5/7/11 3:51 am
you may loose quite a bit in your liquid phase but cut out all carbs, sodas, and as many calories as you can.. I lost 8 lbs in the liquid phase I had a one week liquid diet.. a friend in a 2 week liquid diet lost 14.. she drank a TON of soda prior to the liquid diet, so that may have made a differance..

tpasicznyk
on 5/7/11 4:01 am
Thanks to both of you and congrats on your successful weight loss!  You're doing great!  I will try the suggestions of no carbs and sugar, I'm not a soda person so that's not an issue.  I can only hope that I do it and will be faithful, I do not want to be pushed out further, it feels like forever until it will be here!

Keep up the good work ladies!!

T
Mary R.
on 5/7/11 4:03 am - OH
Thanks =) You can do it and it will be here before you know it!!!
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" 
"Get busy living, or get busy dying" 

Mom4Jazz
on 5/7/11 4:07 am
Time to be your own drill sargent. Here's how I lost 35 lbs (a little over my 10% goal, I only needed 32) preop:

Find a fairly low calorie liquid protein you like. You can go to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and test singles. I liked Oh Yeah Chocolate and Banana, Labrada Lean Body Chocolate & Banana and GNC's house brand Strawberry. I also like Unjury Chicken soup flavor powder mixed in chicken soups or chicken bullion, and Wheybolic powder (black package with red at GNC) powder.

First two weeks: Drink 2 to 3 protein shakes a day (if you get the 40 gram size of Labrada shake, it counts as two). You can have a Soup at Hand with the chicken protein as a chicken shake.
   For dinner have a small serving of meat & a veggie. Almost every night I had a salad with meat on it - chicken breast, chicken salad, tuna salad and a little ranch dressing. Drink water or sugar free drinks at least 64 ounces, but try for more. I drank Crystal light's fiber drink so all that protein wouldn't constipate me. You can also get fiber gummies to chew. If you're not getting any other fiber, chew 2 gummies x twice a day. That's it. No cheating, no simple carbs, no sodas, nothing at all that's not listed.

Last two weeks: Eliminate the salad and add another protein shake. Everything else stays the same.

If you do this for the next 4 weeks, you will lose 15 lbs. You may hate me due to the lack of variety, but you can do it.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

jennkitt
on 5/7/11 4:18 am - MI
I did Atkins, 2 weeks of the "intro" phase, and then did the 2 week liquid diet, I lost 25 pounds (had a few cheat days in there).

Good Luck,

Jenn
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

Ann C.
on 5/7/11 7:31 am - GA
I did shakes from the minute i got up every 3 1/2 hours and ate dinner, That was 2 weeks before and then only shakes, sugar free jello and pudding and string cheese and a few eggs the last week and i have lost almost 30 lbs.  By June you should do it, but drink lots of water and try to stay away from soda and caffeine.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views