Losing My Hair Please Help

CLAUDIA_C
on 5/16/11 5:22 pm, edited 5/16/11 5:24 pm - CA
What is everyone doing about hair lose? I am losing my hair by the handfuls.. I really need help because I am afraid that I am going to be bald pretty soon. I have very thin hair already and not alot of hair.
Claudia Corrales                                 
inkslingerdiva
on 5/16/11 5:33 pm - Dumfries, VA
VSG on 01/22/11 with
I take biotin, omega oils, zinc and 2 types of multivitamins and have always gotten my protein.

I am still losing hair like crazy. Nothing but prayer left to me now.
SW: 228Lbs. GW: 125Lbs. Goal in 14.5 Months CW: 122.7Lbs Down 105.3Lbs

Megdrassil
on 5/16/11 10:01 pm - MI
keep up your protein and biotin! it may not seem like it's working.. but I've heard that hair loss is only temporary.  Your body is kinda 'freaking out' with all the changes and to help itself cope, is saying "to hell with hair! we gotta figure out what we need!" 

it's scary, i don't look forward to going through it at all.. just keeps pushing through, day by day and i'm sure a day will come when you're not losing hair anymore and will actually come back thicker and shinier from all the biotin and protein you've been taking in :)  good luck!!!!

mamalegba
on 5/16/11 10:03 pm - Bonne Terre, MO
 The hair will come back.  I started losing mine about 2 1/2 months out from surgery and then about 2 1/2 to 3 mos later  it started coming back in.  my husband says he thinks it thicker than it ever been and i agree.
Barbara        
Carmelita
on 5/16/11 10:20 pm - Four Corners, NM
My shed/thinning didn't COMPLETELY STOP till I was 13 months out.  I NEVER went bald...NO ONE DOES!!  Take a look at yer surgeon's office next time ya visit...look at before n after pics  here on OH...notice any thinner cueballs?  
Acute Telogen Effluvium effects ALL WLS pts. to varying degrees.  Some report never losing hair
(I think denial is a river in Egypt!) ... some peeps report...losing hair in CLUMPS, BIG HUGE BALD PATCHES...come to find it...those are hysterical descriptions, only seemed like it to THEM!....See those same people post...4 months later...and they NEVER mention their HAIR LOSS again...cuz the new growth has filled in all those HUGE BALD PATCHES!! lmao!!

Biotin, Nioxin, Rogaine, Hair Nails n Skin, Zinc, Selenium...ARE USELESS ADDITIONS!! for WLS induced Acute Telogen Effluvium Do an OH search if ya don't believe me. 

Omega 3 krill oil or fish oil, and Omega 6 EPO (GLA)essential fatty acids ...in appropriate dosages! Too low won't do squat for hair loss!

You can do everythin yer supposed to ...and still have hair loss...but why would you NOT at least TRY?  i.e.  following yer surgeons guidelines...on protein intake, and vits/mins...especially IRON for you menses aged gals, deficient in it...and HAIR LOSS exacerbates!!

More on what to expect, phases, nutritional, and published articles

VSG HAIR LOSS
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/vsg+and +hair+loss/
Jenni Z.
on 5/17/11 2:35 am - CA
 Carmelita,

How much Fish Oil do you recommend? I have read that if you take too much, your hair can fall out! I just started taking it in the past couple of weeks and I think my skin is looking better. Possible? IDK

Getting sleeved in two days and having anxiety about this hair loss thing!!

Thanks,
Jenni
Carmelita
on 5/17/11 3:25 am, edited 5/17/11 3:25 am - Four Corners, NM
Jenni...hell if I know...lolol You'll have to figure it out for yerself!

I used to hang out in MALE PATTERN BALDNESS...forums back in the day...AFTER my hair stopped falling out of course!!...Virtually ALL those MEN are supplementing with DAILY 3-5,000mgs of FISH OIL not only finesteride! Theirs is GENETIC!!! but...same exact testosterone-->DHT conversion that happens to US!! I took 2400 mgs a day..since 2 weeks post op and per my nut , never when I ate fish......but took it WHENEVER I felt like it.... nothin consistent during thee critical stage...surgery - 3months post op.... BIG MISTAKE...HAIR LOS**** me bad!!

Ive also checked into Evening Primrose oil...take a look at my blog....
Recc...3,000 mgs a day!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/vsg+and +hair+loss/

Once yer fish oil horse pills are done...SERIOUSLY consider Neptune/Norwegian KRILL OIL...
small gelcaps, much better bioavailability for us, and won't go rancid, huge pill sittin in our tum-tums! Amazon..cheap, ebay..ok.....whole foods, vitamin shoppe..ridiculou$

EPO are small too! cheaper yet.

SO you supplement with essential fatty acids...to the inth degree....you get all yer protein in ya during the critical stage......Will yer hair still thin? ....I DO NOT KNOW!!

Just KNOW...nothin else has worked in all the YEARS Ive been here! It seems everyone is still doin the SAME OLE SAME OL FAILS!!, fancy shampoos, conditioners, hair nails and skin, biotin, nioxin, rogaine, selenium and zinc...lmao!! whatever

Too late for me...maybe NOT TO LATE FOR YOU!!

byebyeburden
on 5/17/11 12:13 am
It won't last forever.  I started losing at 2.5 months and by 3months I was losing A LOT....I am 6months now and am still losing but a lot less.  I am looking for hair buds, hoping new growth is coming in.  Good luck
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

emelar
on 5/17/11 1:18 am - TX
Nothing you can do to stop it, but it comes back.  Cut your hair in a short, layered style.  Less stress on the hair and the layers will help the new growth blend in.  I use XFusion to disguise the thin hair.  It works - shake it on, pat in down, and style your hair as usual.  It hides the thin patches and makes your hair appear thicker.  [Dear God, I sound like a commercial!]

My PA recommended biotin supplements and Nioxin shampoo, but neither prevent hair loss.  They just help stimulate the follicles and make the hair grow in healthy.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views