Increase calories....ugh..NOT GOOD!

preciouskc
on 5/19/11 11:25 am - TX
another comment from me,

Any suggestions for making tender beef, and adding chicken, and fish into your diet.  The soft protein seems to be more satisfying. 

I am on mushies right now...so soft protein is what I have been generally using in my diet at this stage.....

I can see how the dense protein would be better absorbed by the body and help pick up weight loss.  I am at my first stall.  I am having trouble getting in enough liquid through out the day.  I went into surgery april 26 at 205 and am 185 today.

Today, I had two protein drinks (kellogs protein water -- 8 ounces of water with 1 flavor packet which has 5 g of protein, then I do a protein shot of 26g).  But I am not thirsty. 

So, for example, today I got in 630 calories -- 60g of protein; but not an add'l 60 of liquid on top of that.  That could be the other thing causing my stall???  My protein right now is eggs/cheese/refried beans....

Leslie B.
on 5/19/11 2:44 am - MO
Thanks so much everyone.  And yes just staying on liquid because it hurts.  Not bad, just tender.  I guess trying to eat more was a mistake.  One I will no longer do.  I will definately try the suggestions you all have given.  Thanks again!

"I am so happy with my new life, would not change it for anything!"
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 2:50 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Babybean! Eating more food will come in time, and then you can fuss about eating more than you thought you coudl!  :}

Be sweet to you.  Its all coming, you just keep on keeping on!

Yaay!

Always something to learn :} 

youuu are doooing this!  yaay!

BHaley_414
on 5/19/11 3:23 am
VSG on 04/14/11 with

Hi,

I was just curious who advised you to increase calories?

Are you working with your Bariatic Center's nutritionist?  If not call the hospital you were operated on and work with their nutritionist.

I had been advised the following:

* 4 oz volume (measured in ounce cups) volume per meal.  (NEVER any more than 4oz solids)
* 3 meals per day
* 1-2 protien supplements/shakes, as needed (ProtiDiet supps recommended)
* 70 gms protien per day
* 48 to 64 oz water a day
* no liquids 30 minutes before, or 30 minutes prior to eating
* take a full 30 minutes to eat each meal
* try to chew each bite 25 times
* concentrate on eating proteins first, followed by healthy carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains (in various preps ie pureed etc).

I agree that going back to liquids-- seems a form of "dieting" and this is not a diet. This is definitely a lifestyle change brought on by a physical reformation of your digestive sytem.  Enjoy it!  so what you've stalled.  its not permanent.

Don't count your calories, only the volume, protien, and water.

Hope that is helpful - and good luck!

byebyeburden
on 5/19/11 7:36 am
I don't think you should up your calories, but look at the foods you are eating to break a stall.  If you eat the same things your body gets used to it.  I think drinking more definately helps, I still have a hard time getting my fluids in.
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views