Question #1 ( CPAP)

Elizabeth M.
on 5/19/11 3:08 pm
i have had my machine for about a month. honestly i have had some problems sleeping with it. so my next step is the special pillow. right now i have to sleep on my back, because i get so annoyed when i try to sleep on my side. so i havent been using it like i am suppost to. i have two masks one like an oxygen mask(which gives me a headache) and another that just had the nose pieces(i like better). when i do wear it, it works wonders,i love it. i just need to get that pillow. I like to sleep on my side/stomach also. there is no sleeping on my back at all,lol. once you get your machine, you will get use to what is good for you and your sleeping positions,lol. good luck to you
Mrs. Hopeful

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 9:45 pm
 I've used one for about a year now.  I honestly love it, I think I used it for 12 hours a day for the first month I had it lol.  

I've never been a back sleeper, I've prefered the physical arrangement you described for most of my life, you can still sleep like that, it just depends on what type of mask you get.  There is a mask that covers your nose and mouth and one that just sticks in your nose...the latter is smaller and easier to sleep however you want.  

That being said I have became a back sleeper (got tired of having to re-adjust, replace my mask because it's easier to come off when you're on your side or front) and had very little trouble adjusting the mask.  

They will be able to find the lowest air pressure to keep your breathing passages open, it is an adjustment process but not too bad for me honestly.
Kristy R.
on 5/20/11 1:50 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I've had my CPAP for about three years.  I have rarely been able to keep it on for the whole night.  I usually only manage about 4 hours a night, and that is with my husband telling me to put it back on.  It took me forever to be able to fall asleep with it on, because I felt like I was suffocating.  I barely tolerate it.  I have severe apnea and have already been warned that losing weight will most likely not help with my apnea, due to my bone structure.  I take the mask off without realizing it, no matter what I do.  For a while I was able to keep it on wearing a hat that tied under my chin.  I tried the nasal pillow mask, and that was even worse because I could not open my mouth.  The one good thing I can say about the nasal pillow mask is that it forced me to like my regular full nose/mouth mask.  Because I have issues with it, I don't feel that much better than I did without it.  I am pretty much out of ideas, and so is the Dr, for keeping the mask on.  I stop breathing 89/99 times an hour depending on if I am on my side or back.  Oh, I am finally able to fall asleep with it on without Ambien now too.  Teeny baby steps I guess.  

Having typed all that, it's still worth even getting the 4 hours, according to my Dr.  I keep trying because I know that it's necessary.  

~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views