Question #1 ( CPAP)

skinimini
on 5/19/11 11:36 am
So.. I had a sleep study done last week.  They called me today to tell me that I do indeed have sleep apnea.  So, I have to go this Sat. night ( if the world doesn't come to an end- haha) to have an additional sleep study.  This time with the CPAP to see what my levels need to be.

So, for those of you with CPAP machines, can you only sleep on your back?  I NEVER sleep on my   back!  I sleep on my side, or on my stomach, with one leg pulled up, where I am kind of on my side and stomach at the same time.

Also, the only time I have ever used oxygen, was when I was in the hospital having my kids.  I hated it!  I felt like I was suffocating on too much air !! ( if that makes sense! )  I just don't really like the idea of having this.  I am most positive that once I lose like 20 or so lbs. that I won't have sleep apnea anymore.  ( that is when I started noticing waking up a lot, snoring, etc. )  I pretty much just went to have the study done, so that would be one more hoop that I had jumped through to hopefully impress my isurance to approve me!!  Now, I am like.....ugh!  Also, I don't think I will be able to use the nasal canula ( sp?) because it is mostly for nose breathers.  I think I breathe out of my mouth mostly.

Sorry for the long post.  Any advice before I go on Saturday, or words of knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

Ann C.
on 5/19/11 11:40 am - GA
I use a CPAP, have for years.  For the test you have to lay on your back.....which sucks.  I use mine on my side/stomach, not sure if that is really wise but it is the only way i know how to sleep.  You will feel much more rested!  They have different types of masks and nasal pillows.  Maybe they can show you lots of different styles to fit your needs.  I hope all goes well!

roselynd
on 5/19/11 11:54 am - WI
I have used a cpap for about 2 years. You can sleep on your back, side or even stomach once you get used to it. You just have to remember to keep the mask OFF the pillow so it won't fall to the side of your face. HOWEVER...I must warn you that you sleep apnea may NOT be cured by losing weight. I had my sleeve and lost 110 lbs but still use a cpap because my tongue falls to the back of my throat. My apnea is not caused by my weight but I was able to get the pressure reduced because of my weight loss. Everyone is different but hang in there....it really isn't so bad! You will be suprised how quickly you get used to it! And the good nights sleep is worth a little fussing!
Roselynd                
crossbride
on 5/19/11 12:06 pm - NY
I have had my cpap for only about 3 weeks now. I tend to sleep on my side with it. It is uncomfortable if u dont situate the mask securely on ur face but it gets better i time.. dont worry about it.
Dee W.
on 5/19/11 12:05 pm
I have a cpap and sleep on my sides and back. I sleep with my leg hanging over too LOL. There are a ton of different masks for you to try so dont be discouraged. My CPAP has made a wonderful change in my sleeping. I sleep hours without struggling, snoring, etc. It's not the end of the world to have one.  Losing weight does help this problem or at least improve it! I hate the oxygen they give at the hospital too. It's not the same. They also have chin straps for your mouth if you need it. You can relearn how to breath without that though. I did. :)  
Elaine2
on 5/19/11 12:05 pm - Atlanta, GA
I've used a machine for several years and do sleep on my side/stomach. I purchased a pillow that has kind of a cut out on either side that makes room for the mask.

I had difficulties using a CPAP and ended up with a BiPAP. It has 2 different pressures---one for the inhaling and less pressure when I exhale. Love this machine. I will probably not be able to eliminate it due to issues other than weight (deviated septum, throat and palate problems). But hopefully the pressure will come down.

It usually takes awhile to get used to the mask. You've got to give it time But the quality of sleep and lack of tiredness throughout the day is worth the effort.

shantele7824
on 5/19/11 1:15 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
FIrst off I want to say I love my cpap machine.  I have been using it for years and I would probably be a even bigger mess than I used to be without it.  I actually get the best sleep with it, than verses without.  So anyway, lol.  I can sleep in all positions, back stomach side upside down you just got to get used to it and allow it to work with you not against.  And please look at it in a positive way, that helps your head ajust to things like this easier.  Good luck
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

wert
on 5/19/11 1:21 pm - MN
I found out last fall I have sleep apnea and have used my machine since then. I'm a side-sleeper, too and still am. I have no trouble at all sleeping on my side with my mask on. I considered getting a special pillow but found out I don't need it. I sleep so well with my CPAP. I love it. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Erica77
on 5/19/11 1:43 pm - MN
I LOVE mine! I have had mine since October 2010. It took about a month to really like it. I also use to breath through my mouth when I slept, not any more.

When I got my machine, they let me try on every mask. I even took a couple "floor models" home to test them a few nights and just took them back when I figured which one I like.

You will feel SO awesome when you get a good nights rest. No naps during then day..extra energy.

Some times when I wake up in the middle of the night I have to really listen hard to make sure it is still on.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 1:57 pm, edited 5/21/11 1:09 pm
Delete
Most Active