Pre-Op Appointment Today... Starting Pre-op diet tomorrow

momof3liloneswife21
on 5/23/11 8:07 am
15 full days until surgery on June 6.  Very excited....but a bit nervous after appointment/s today.  At my doc's practice, you meet w/ PA, dietician, exercise physiologist in one day.  A lot of info in one morning -- in a group setting.  Kind-of had the feeling/thought "What have I gotten myself into?".... it wasn't new info, just hearing out loud (maybe) instead of reading it???  Not sure. 

Got the first few days of pre-op diet food today, too.  Start tomorrow.  I've heard the first few days are horrible -- cravings, mood swings, etc.  Sort-of nervous -- but I'll be at work, so I'll have distraction and have to "behave" to others  :-) 
I'm going back on Friday to buy the rest of my 2 weeks of food, as I felt pretty overwhelmed today and couldn't make those decisions for 2 weeks, especially having NEVER had the food before.

Still pretty overwhelmed, too, by finding care for my 3 young children (5, 3, 1 years old) for the surgery/hospital days, and the weekend when I get home so that I don't get pulled into caring for them, even though my hubby is wonderful.  Soooo wish I had family nearby.  I just keep telling myself that this is just a piece to the puzzle and in a few weeks it'll all be over.  A lot of work leading into the surgery, though.

Any tips anyone has for the mental work/calming heading into the pre-op diet and the weeks before surger
LeslieKC
on 5/23/11 9:53 am - KS
I am on my 6th day of the pre-op diet. I have to say the second day was the absolute worst. I was hungry, moody and just not a nice person to be around. It caused a huge fight with my hubby. But the next day I was better and more resigned to the fact that I have to stick with this or I will never be able to stick with healthy eating after surgery. That mindset and the lbs coming off each day has helped me. Today I've been hungry but not ravenous. It's becoming a habit. My hubby grilled steak last night for him and the kids and I didn't salivate all over his plate. It's still not easy but it's doable! I would definitely stock up on broth and SF jello and popsicles, also Crystal Lite. If I am really hungry I make a big glass of Crystal Lite slushie in my blender or I crush ice and put SF sno cone syrup over it. That helps to ease the hunger. Good luck in your journey!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views