Trying to decide on surgery, lap band vs. sleeve-advice appreciated!

christy217
on 5/26/11 11:31 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Hello,

I am recently a new member to this board. I have a complicated medical history, having had colon cancer at 28, I have the gene that causes colon cancer, had a total colectomy (total removal of my large intestine), so therefore I am not eligible for the routine gastric bypass, therefore, my dr and I discussed the sleeve and lapband. He and I both feel the sleeve is my best bet, however, I have BCBS and they require a bmi of 50, and I am at 35, in order to qualify for the sleeve.

We are hoping with my complicated medical history that my insurance company will approve my request for sleeve vs. lapband.

I am writing to see if anyone has thoughts regarding sleeve vs. lapband.

My doc, stated that I could be on a liquid diet for approximately 6-8 weeks, which totally confounds me.

I'd like to hear anyones thoughts on the idea.

TIA!

Christy
cindydcole
on 5/26/11 11:37 am - TN
Hi Christy!  Please see my post a few mintues ago to another member who was deciding between lapband and sleeve.  I had the lapband since Dec 2004 and got my sleeve 4/19/11 - I love the sleeve much better.  While my lapband did not errode or slip like a lot of folks - it continuously tightened by itself and I barfed all the time and ate slider foods.  I did lose 90+ lbs, but gained it back.  I'm very happy with the sleeve. Good luck

SassyItalian
on 5/26/11 11:41 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Considering you have already lost enough time dealing with illness, it would make sense to do the Sleeve and not bother messing around and wasting time with the Band..

You are much more likely to need more surgery with the band after it is implanted-ie to fix a flipped port, or remove the band, to repair damage. I wouldnt want to even mess around with that nonsense but hey, that's one person's opinion.

The sleeve is far superior based on the research I have done.
Please make sure you research both thoroughly, it will benefit you. And considering your medical history you most likely could appeal your insurance to cover the sleeve and win on the first try to get the sleeve. Many people on here have done it.

BSBS of NJ covered my sleeve in its entirety.

As far as the liquid diet, you will have to follow your surgeons plan. My plan was 1 week preop liquid diet, 2 weeks post op liquid diet then onto mushies (total 3 weeks liquids) but some were put on liquids for much longer..It may be your individual surgeon or due to your previous health issues?

Good luck!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

christy217
on 5/26/11 11:41 am, edited 5/26/11 11:46 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Cindy-Thanks so much for your response! I have noticed a lot of people have issues with the band, erosion, etc., I am concerned about having something in my body like that. I had to have a mediport while with cancer, for chemo, and although I know it's different, I fear that issue.

Thanks!
christy217
on 5/26/11 11:48 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Sassy,

Thanks so much for the insight! You gave me some hope, I am worried about BCBS's reaction, but I am doing as much as I possibly can for them to approve me, thanks again for giving me that grain of hope!
Hislady
on 5/26/11 12:12 pm - Vancouver, WA
Please do everything you can to get the sleeve. I've had the band for 3 yrs and lost only 20 lbs with it after busting my butt and following every rule. They are just too iffy, work for some but not at all for others. Plus the added hassle of fills and unfills to hopefully get the right restriction. They are a royal pain in the rear!
deb.c
on 5/26/11 2:07 pm
do you still  have the band?
hi having sleeve on sept 6 band coming out has any one had this?            
Hislady
on 5/27/11 2:53 pm - Vancouver, WA
Yep unfortunately I do still have it but I had it emptied about a month ago and am doing much better. I can finally eat healthy food again, I'm so enjoying lean meats and veggies again. If I could revise to a sleeve I would but there is an exclusion in my insurance. Hopefully keeping my band empty will avoid some of the horrid problems others have had or at least delay them.
LittleMissSunshine
on 5/26/11 12:18 pm
I have a BCBS plan too, though their criteria was BMI of 40 or 35 with at least 2 co-morbidities.  You might try going for approval and if rejected, appeal citing your previous medical history and why both you and your surgeon feel the sleeve is your best option.

If it's helpful, feel free to use my appeal letter (I won, was sleeved this past Monday).  My rejection reason was that the sleeve is still investigational, but I'm sure there are some tidbits in there that you could re-purpose to suit your needs.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

christy217
on 5/26/11 12:25 pm - Mechanicsville, MD
Hislady-I concur and feel the same as you do about the band, sorry to hear you had to endure the process for three wretched years, but I truly appreciate the advice. BTW, cute, cute dog in your pic!

Sunshine-THANK YOU So much! Invaluable information in this letter! Thanks so so much!

Christy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views