Home and Sleeved 6/2/11

tmctnrice
on 6/3/11 10:27 pm - Newport News, VA

I am home and sleeved. I had surg on 6/2 and now have a few questions.....

1. how do you get in your protein drinks when you are just NOT wanting ANYTHING at all?

2. Any suggestions on how to sleep better (I always slept on my stomach now I cant)

3. did anyone else have itching around incisions?

Aside from these few questions I am feeling pretty good...just still sore. The Dr told me I was one of his more difficult cases and would probably be sore longer than normal. So I guess I will be walking more.
I am just happy to finally being on the journey to a better and healthier me.

lisa53406
on 6/3/11 10:35 pm - Racine, WI
First - CONGRATS! Its still a learning curve now but you are on the downhill path!

1) It was difficult for me to swallow at first. My stomach would spasm at everything and cold stuff was horrible. This is the beginning of the behavior change because the last couple of days I don't want to eat but I must. Work on keeping something by your side and sipping on it. Its not uncommon to take an hour to get down a whole protein drink. Don't fret just keep sipping and plugging away.

2. I had a horrible time sleeping in the beginning. Tried the recliner brought up just for the purpose but it didn't work for me and lying in bed was excruciating! My sleep was limited in the beginning but every day got better. When I finally could lie in my bed, I laid on my side and hugged a pillow to my tummy for support (and comfort!)

3. Yes. Itching is part of healing. With the pads of my fingers I would lightly run my fingers around the bandages. I didn't want them to lift and impact my ability to shower. Its uncomfy but remember its temporary and its an indication your body is properly healing! yay!

Take care,

Lisa

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
kanga003
on 6/3/11 10:42 pm
I'm pre-op so I can't help with your questions, but congrats!!!  Sorry this part is kinda rough :-(

Did he say why you were a "difficult case"?  Just one of those anatomy things? 

Here's to smooth sailing from here out!!!

Oh... just something I have gleaned from the board... if nothing else get your FLUIDS in any which way you can... room temp, cold, warm, plain, sweet, ice, Popsicle, WHATEVER works... dehydration sounds dreadful!  If it takes a few more days of healing to get to your protein so be it...

Welcome to the bench!  Can't wait to join you!
kris B.
on 6/3/11 11:43 pm - north bend, WA
Congrats! I was also sleeved on the 2nd. Drinking broth and sugar free jello is pretty daunting. Today, we should be able to eat protein drinks which is exciting for me! I bought muscle milk and pure protein drinks. I am pretty creative with the protein powders and am able to use what I am able to eat to my advantage. If this is your 3rd day, do you also get to move on to protein shakes? If your having a hard time wanting to eat, try making something that sounds a little bit more appealing to your taste buds. I have not been hungry (no growling tummy) but am trying to keep super hydrated, which is tough.

I have not been able to lay on my side at all. I prop myself up and lay on my back, which is rather comfortable, but I still miss being curled up in a ball in bed.

I am also having incision itching. Accompanied by a burning sensation on my right suture. The doctor had to spend a little extra time on me also because of a big hiernia which caused a band slip. I feel like we are going through the same pain. Do you have a drain? How is it doing?

Good luck!

HW: 350 CW: ? LW: 180 GW: 180?
jmyersking
on 6/4/11 12:11 am - Davenport, IA
I got my sleeve the day before you and the first couple of days were hairy.  I had a hard time taking my pain pills without throwing up but I have not thrown up in over 24 hours.  I found that I was sleeping half way propped on a pillow so I could get the feeling of sleeping on my stomach without actually laying flat on it.

As for protein drinks, I finally was able to dring part of one yesterday.  But just make sure that you sip as often as you can.  Take a nice luke warm shower..

HW: 260 SW: 245 CW:120.5  Surgery Date: 6/1/11
2 wks: -14.5
2 Months: -25  
3 Months -11
4 Months -14.5
5 Months -11.5
6 Months -5.5
7 Months -12
8 Months -8.5
9 Months -3
10 Months -5
11 Months 4.5