ugh! I get so tired of hearing....

wannabeprettyinpink
on 6/11/11 12:10 am - MN
I have heard them all...  But the funny part is, what we percieve ourselves as being is not always what others see.  That being said, you must be happy with yourself.  Otherwise you can't allow others to be happy with you.  We are always our worst critics. I have been honest and tell anyone who listens about my surgery, even the waitresses at our favorite local restaurant know. I figured those who know me are aware I was a former chocoholic and semi couch potato, so to avoid speculation, I just lay it all out there. I actually had a trainer at the gym I recently joined ask me, why would they do surgery on you, you werent "that" overweight.  I told him it wasn't a vanity issue, it was a health issue. I had many comorbidities and I want to be around to watch my granddaughters grow up and pursue the plans my DH and I have for our future.  So to all those who ask why?  BECAUSE I COULD!

urmisnshin2
on 6/11/11 12:43 am - TX
@DrH...it's actually  co-workers and friends that feel the need to come to my office every day to have this discussion...one even says' "I'm just afraid something will happen to you." to which I reply there is a bigger chance of me sitting there having a heart attack at my current weight/health than something going terribly wrong with surgery. (and she knows this...we are  both nurses)...My family is great about it...my neice had WLS five years ago and has done great, my sister had it 6 wks ago, I'm scheduled for the 29th, and my little brother is getting his surgical consult next week. and my DH and boys are awesome!! My 11 year old son already has amusement park plans for next year, my 16 year old  (who is an athletic workout freak already) already has proteins researched, samples bought, and an exercise plan for the whole family.
Thecos
on 6/11/11 1:16 am

I have heard that a lot too.  I was really shocked when someone in my WLS support group said it to me!! 

NIQAABI
on 6/11/11 4:17 am
..."you're really not big enough for weight loss surgery, I bet if you'd just diet and exercise a little more I bet you'd get that weight off." ...I'VE HEARD THIS EXACT STATMENT TWICE TODAY FROM THE BARIATRIC DOCTOR :(.....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views