The Anesthesiologist doesn't approve.

Tracey W.
on 6/13/11 9:12 am
I had my preop appt for readmission and anesthesiologist today. I've already lost over 70 pounds, and my surgery was scheduled on June 27th... NOT ANYMORE. He "doesn't like my airway" and wants me to lose another 30 or 40 pounds. Are you freakin kidding me???????? I'm SO thrown for a loop.

Future's uncertain. If I have to do that much more, it'll put me at 110 lbs lost preop. Why not just do it my own damned self??? I'm not making any choices today. Just processing what happened.
Trying to build a better life, one good choice at a time.  
"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."-Ruby Gettinger        
Backinstride
on 6/13/11 9:19 am
I know how you feel I'm sure they have your best interest at hand. They want your surgery to go smooth without any complications. As most of us get nervous and ask for prayers that everything goes well for us before surgery.

New_me2011
on 6/13/11 9:21 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
Smardeepants
on 6/13/11 9:23 am
(((hugs)))... so sorry this happened to you! I'm pretty sure I would cry. Or swear. Or maybe both.

Maybe there really is some issue with your airway that would be dangerous during surgery... my husband worked in post-op recovery and every now and then someone would end up on a ventilator. Sometimes those people could never come off.... and were ventilator dependant for life.  

I'm so sorry... maybe thinking of it in terms of safety will make it easier to swallow?  more (((hugs)))

lucy2e
on 6/13/11 9:23 am - Laurel, MD
I'm so sorry!  I know that has to be disappointing!  The fact that you have lost 70+ pounds is amazing - congrats on that!  The reason I would encourage you to continue striving for the sleeve is because it will make it easier for you to keep the weight off!  Good luck making your decision - you have my full support no mater what you decide!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

King908
on 6/13/11 9:33 am
Sorry to hear about that, I would have been totally bummed out.  Stay Strong remember the reason and press on.  I think that you can loose the extra pre-op weight to make them happy. Then you will be happy after that with your sleeve. I thought about just doing it on my own after loosing as much pre-op weight that I have, but I know I need to restriction of the sleeve for the future.   Good Luck... Stay Stong, you can do it.

WiseTears
on 6/13/11 9:43 am - Chicago, IL
I'm sorry this happened to you but you should definitely take this as a blessing. Do you have a CPAP machine which could help improved your airway especially at night. Also, you may want to find a meditation therapist to work on breathing techniques. But you should count your lucky stars because the anesthesiologist is preventing your throat from cloasping and going into cardiac rest which could result in a brain injury.  

Tracey W.
on 6/13/11 9:48 am
Thank you everyone. I am grateful that he's being cautious. I'm a worrier and I don't want anyone working on me in a less than confident situation. I'm just reeling from the change in plans and trying to deal with it. I cried sooo hard in the parking lot for about 35 min. I couldn't have imagined that I'd do that. I'm not really a crier.  
It's in God's hands. I'll be fabulous.
Trying to build a better life, one good choice at a time.  
"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."-Ruby Gettinger        
Smardeepants
on 6/13/11 10:45 am

Tracey, I believe with every FIBER in me that things happen for a reason. God opens doors, closes them, and nudges us in different directions.

I have seen this time and time again in my journey... it hasn't fit my timetable (LOL)... but I look back and see that His timing was best.

(((hugs))) to you!

Rated5Scars
on 6/13/11 10:28 pm - London, Canada
with no disrespect to the talents of the surgeon, it's actually the anaestetist who keeps you alive during surgery. If he has concerns be thankful he's diligent.

VSG Nov 30, 2010
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views