Coming home to a toddler after surgery

keatmon81
on 6/12/11 2:05 am
Has anyone came home to toddler after surgery? My surgery is on Thursday and I have a 14month old. My concern is when i come home he will be all over me wanting me to pick him up. I know we are not suppose to do heavy lifting so what should i do? I know he will cry if i do not pick him up and that will break my heart. Also i have my aunt coming to help me for the first week while my husbands at work but i am afraid she will not be here the whole time my husband is at work. he leaves at 5 :30 in the morning and my son gets up a little after that. will i be able to pick him up and take care of him until my aunt gets here?

SN: for the ladies i think my aunt flow might be visiting on the day of surgery or while i am there. has anyone expereince that?
dmhenry
on 6/12/11 2:45 am - Wrightstown, NJ
I had my surgery on May 18.  The doctor told me not to even lift a laundry basket for 1 month.  So be careful lifting your son.  I feel good I am 3 weeks out and do not even feel like I had surgery. I try not to lift anything yet but sometimes I do.  As far as the laundry basket I drag it through the house instead of  carrying it.   You are going to want to take naps the first few weeks because you get tired quickly.

I got up the day after surgery to go for a walk in the hospital and yup Aunt Flo was there.  I was not even due.  I was not prepared either.  Sigh  So now on that should be on everyone list.

PS Here is a little background on my situation:  I have a special needs son who is 18 and weighs 100lbs.  Does not walk or talk.  I had hired some one to come in to get him up and ready for school because my husband has to be at work at 6am.  But 2 weeks before my surgery my 23 year old son who has lived in NC for 4 years called and said he was coming on due to a bad break up with his girlfriend.  I was so so so happy to have my family back together again.  He LOVES his brother like his is the father of him.  So it worked out perfect that he was here to help me.  Everything fell into place for me to do this.  Since I have started this journey on Jan 21 (the first day I saw the doctor and NUT)  I have lost 40lbs.

Good luck Thursday.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

keatmon81
on 6/12/11 7:56 am
Thats great how things worked out for you and how well you are doing. thank you for the advice! I will be careful with him.
Paige V.
on 6/12/11 2:46 am, edited 6/12/11 2:46 am - Gainesville, FL
I havent had surgery yet, but I would imagine it would be hard to explain to a 14 month old. I think I would just get on the couch and tell him to come to you....I am a little luckier...my little man will be almost 4 when I get the surgery so he understands more, but even then..he can sometimes be too rough or sometime he still wants to be carried...at at 54 pounds that will be impossible for me to do for a long time! 

Best of luck to you though!! :) 
A911Angel
on 6/12/11 3:33 am
 I would sit on the floor with my little ones when I couldn't lift them.  I would feed them sitting in front of me.  If there's a will, there's a way! ;)

Holly

keatmon81
on 6/12/11 7:57 am
Thanks! I will try that and i am starting with him now! Good luck on your journey!
ravenssummer
on 6/12/11 3:32 am - West Warwick, RI
I have a 22 month old when I got home and I had my mother in-law with me the whole time. You really need someone to a least lift your son out of the crib so if that means getting up at 5:20 right before you husband leaves then thats what you gotta do. When no one was with me I would feed him standing up change him on the floor and if he wanted to be picked up I sat in a chair and had him climb up. Thats the way I did it and I hope everything works out for you.
HW 348 SW 329 CW 196  

keatmon81
on 6/12/11 8:00 am
thanks for the advice! my most concern is lifting him in and out crib and up and down steps to go upstairs or go outside for walks. I will be have my husband get  him out of crib before he leaves.
jengo1971
on 6/12/11 3:38 am
My son was 15 months old and still breastfeeding.  I had zero issues.  Good luck!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
lucy2e
on 6/12/11 3:58 am - Laurel, MD
My daughter is 20 - so can't help with the toddler question...  But Aunt Flo came for a visit 2 days before surgery.  Actually, alot of women have Aunt Flo visit them in the hospital even if she isn't due - the surgery messes with us ladies cycle.  You'll be fine!  If you do start, they will have some special sterile panties that you can stick a pad in and wear into surgery.  It's no fun, but surgery isn't fun, so might as well get over it while already not feeling tip top, right!

Good luck with your surgery!  Maybe have a special spot next to you for your baby to climb up and be with you!  I know you will do great! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views