When you say greek yogurt, do you mean plain or can I go with flavor?

ncteacher76
on 6/19/11 10:26 pm - NC

I tried eating plain non fat greek yogurt in pre-op and I could not tollerate it!  I tasted like sour cream to me...now I love the flavored greek yogurt (esp. promongranite)  I also tried to put pudding into the plain nf greek yogurt ( I am assuming when you guys say to do this, you mean the sf powder pudding?)  it made my yogurt very thick!   So back to my question, when you guys say that your eating greek yogurt, are you talking about the plain, nf or are you taking about the flavored kinds?   Thanks!!!!!  I can start full liquids on Thursday and yogurt is on my list!  YAY!

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 10:31 pm
Some people get the plain and mix suger free jam or preserves and or splenda with it but even that wasn't that good enough for me. I absolutely LOVE the Fage Cherry (it's like eating cheesecake) and trust me, I tried them all!!  I know it has more calories (with the fruit) than some like but I am at a point where I am trying to actually UP my calories at this point so I think I'm ok.  Good luck! 
walmartian
on 6/20/11 7:08 am
On June 20, 2011 at 5:31 AM Pacific Time, shixa wrote:
Some people get the plain and mix suger free jam or preserves and or splenda with it but even that wasn't that good enough for me. I absolutely LOVE the Fage Cherry (it's like eating cheesecake) and trust me, I tried them all!!  I know it has more calories (with the fruit) than some like but I am at a point where I am trying to actually UP my calories at this point so I think I'm ok.  Good luck! 
I like the Fage flavored kinds too. I do keep up with my calories but like to get most of them in the AM anyway, and that's when I have my GY if I'm going to. Sometimes I even get the peach kind and mix in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and eat half , take a break, do my workout, then eat the other half or save it to have as a snack later. I can't usually eat the whole tub at one time anyway.
I'd rather eat the regular or 'lower fat' versions, not fat free, and usually don't go for artificial sweeteners either; sometimes the artificial sweeteners give me yucky side effects. It has nothing to do with my surgery though, it's always been so.

USAF Wife
on 6/19/11 10:41 pm
I stick to the plain, non-fat version. The fruit flavors had too many sugar and carb counts for my liking and goals. It does taste bitter without doctoring it up to some extent. A lot of people like to add the sugar-free syrups, sugar free jams/jellies. I personally enjoyed the sf pudding powder because it was a thicker consistency, and loved the white chocolate flavor. I actually make a mock cheesecake with it.

And, I use the plain flavor as a sour cream substitute even at 2 years post-op. My family never knew I used it instead of sour cream, and I make all of my appetizers for pot lucks/get togethers with Greek yogurt and no one even realizes that it's not sour cream based.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 10:52 pm
hmmm...never thought of adding the pudding powder OR using it as a sour cream!  The jelly did NOT work out well...feh!

How much of a full pudding packet do you use?

Thanks!
USAF Wife
on 6/19/11 11:00 pm
I have zero set amount that I add. If I had to guestimate, I would say 1/2 packet per cup of yogurt. In the kitchen, when it comes to ingredients, I'm not so great at measuring as I just kind of add to taste. The butterscotch flavor was really awesome, but I love butterscotch.

Freezing it really makes it firm, and it kind of shaves off into a icee consistency. I would freeze individual servings in ice cube trays. Pop 2-3 of them out, and enjoy them slowly.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

ncteacher76
on 6/19/11 10:47 pm - NC
Thanks guys!   I will keep trying to doctor the plain and eating a fruit based one as a reward!!
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 6/19/11 10:48 pm - New Orleans
G.Y. is one of those things that I just never developed a taste for.  I would suggest using the plain, however, and mixing it w/ a sugar-free ingredient.  The pre-flavored or mixed ones usually have too many carbs.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

Marie B.
on 6/19/11 10:57 pm - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
 Looking good there FatGuy!  You've really done a great job with that sleeve of yours!   Now, the GY question.  I never really liked the stuff, but when I would eat it, I'd mix in some Splenda and Cinnamon.  I never buy the flavored yogurts, they just have too many carbs and calories.  I decided to stick with low fat cottage cheese flavored with Splenda and Cinnamon, lots of protein, not so thick and tart like GY.  It's a matter of personal taste.  Jus****ch out for those nasty carbs and you'll be fine.
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

ncteacher76
on 6/19/11 11:51 pm - NC
Thanks Marie!!  I do love cottage cheese!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views