FINALLY made a decision! I'm going w/ the sleeve!

bluehen
on 6/20/11 10:13 pm - New York, NY
I'm new to the boards but have been contemplating WLS for years.  Having PCOS, I have had a hard time loosing weight and decided that this will be my year! 
The last few months I went from wanting the lap band to not being able to decide b/w the sleeve or gastric bypass.  Well...I met w/ my surgeon yesterday and I'm going w/ the sleeve!  My surgery date is set (8/9/11) and all I have to do b/w now and my surgery date is- enjoy my vacation next month and get through the 2 weeks of liquid pre-op diet.  I'm very excited w/ my decision and can't wait to begin my journey!

Any advice or words of wisdom? 
lucy2e
on 6/20/11 10:36 pm - Laurel, MD
Congrats on making your decision!  I think you will be very pleased.  My advice is start making small changes now in prep - give up soda if you still drink it, stop smoking if you smoke, etc.  If you make 1 small change each week, it's much easier then trying to make all the changes right before or after surgery.

Best wishes!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

CJCC55
on 6/20/11 10:37 pm - Cleveland, TN
Only thing I have to say is..... You won't be sorry.
I have never been happier with any decision that I have made for my life, and am only sad that I did not do it a couple of years sooner.
You will love your sleeve, just as I and so many others love theirs!!!
Congratulations!!!!

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

debk21
on 6/20/11 10:49 pm - Mansfield, TX
Congratulations!!!!!  ...and welcome to the board...there are a lot of veterans around here and if you read lots of posts, you'll really learn a lot about the do's and don'ts of this process.  I think you made a fabulous decision (but I am biased) and you SHOULD be excited!!!  This is the best thing I've ever done for myself and I will never regret it.  Have a great day and enjoy the journey!!!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Jennchap
on 6/20/11 11:32 pm - CA
 Congrats!!!! You're going to love this journey. I have to say for me this has been a cake walk, just enjoy the journey and remember we are all here if you need help at any point. You got this girl!
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

koshermama
on 6/21/11 12:24 am
Good luck!!!
bluehen
on 6/21/11 1:03 am - New York, NY
Thank you all!  I am definitely excited.  The only thing I think I'm stressing about right now is, how do I ask for the time off from work?  No one knows that I am having this done and I really don't want to tell them either.  I know there are certain laws to protect employees but when I'm working for a company that employs only 24 people, I think I have to be careful in not to ask for too much time off from work. :\
BuckeyeGirl
on 6/21/11 2:31 am - TN
First of all, congrats on your decision! I can't wait to read about all of your success here on the sleeve board.

Now, what kind of work do you do and how long are your shifts? If you have a desk job, you may not need too much time off of work.

I do a moderate amount of walking for my job and I work 10 hour shifts. I took 1.5 weeks off and then came back the next week half days, so 5 hour shifts. After that, work-wise I was back to normal.

A lot of it will just depend on the requirements of your job.

Best of luck,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 2:37 am
Have your doc write a note regarding you going in for surgical or medical treatment (doesn't have to specify) and that you will need X amount of time off.. I'd take as much as you can, at least 1.5wks to 2 weeks. 

If they are smart, they won't pry- if they ask, you can say whatever you want- but just saying "female issues" generally shuts them down fast! Or you can just truth it and say you have some issues with your stomach and they are going to go in and fix them!!

livingskinny
on 6/21/11 3:48 am - NC
Hey I am with you on the work thing.  I feel like this is a private issue for me, I know everyone doesn't feel that way, my hubby knows, (obviously)  and a couple of my really close friends, one of which lives out of town, so again it's a very personal decision for me.   I had my surgery on 6/16/11 and I took off that Thursday Friday and Yesterday (Monday)  I am back today.  I have PTO time and all I do request days off, and there is never a question about it.  But my job is not physical, I do Marketing for a large company, so I travel to different hospitals and so forth, so I do some walking, no lifting.  I keep myself hydrated, and I feel great.  I'm not doing anything at work that would hinder my progress.  So that's just my story.  I wish you the best...and just know you have made the very best decision!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views