Day 4 post op: so tired and weak + bathroom issue (TMI)

Ms. Poker Face
on 6/25/11 11:04 pm
 OK, before reading further, there is bathroom related TMI in here so you've been warned.

I am day 4 post op and really struggling.  I had a really bad night.  I'm sooo tired and weak.  The newest thing is the diarrhea that had me up all night last night.  Every hour or so.  It's bad enough trying to stay hydrated in the first place, but this isn't helping.  

I've read many posts about constipation after surgery but I've been the complete opposite.  I have had diarrhea every day since one day post op.  Any one else?  Any advice?

If this doesn't resolve soon, I'll be calling my doctor and possibly getting some IV fluids at the ER.  This makes me sad and frustrated.  

Help!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

roundater
on 6/25/11 11:33 pm - Lincoln, NE
I would say definitely check with your doc. I have have very little movement 16 days out. Doesn't sound normal. Goodd luck!
Rich Sonderegger

Kim_M
on 6/25/11 11:33 pm - LaPorte, TX
This is very common in the beginning.I think it is away for our systems to clean out. Do watch  for dehydration.A way that I tested was pinch the skin on back of hand. If it goes down fast you r ok. 

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Kim_M
on 6/25/11 11:35 pm - LaPorte, TX
Then it goes yellow and remember liquid in lquid out.Jus****ch for dehydration.

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Caligirlgina
on 6/26/11 12:17 am - CA
I went throught the same thing for the first 5 days after surgery. I am now 9 days post op and I don't have it as much. In fact yesterday I had solid poop. I have been watering down split pea soup to eat and I think that helps me out.
Can you drink some G2 Gatorade to help keep you hydrated?
Hugs
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

No More Spanx
on 6/26/11 12:51 am - Rock Island, IL
I too am riding the Demon "Potty" Coaster.  I had diarrea the whole week after surgery and while I was on clear liquids.  It stopped once I reached the full liquids the next week.  Now I am suffering from constipation and haven't gone for days.  However, I am now able to get in around 70 oz of fluid a day so I am adding benefiber to my protein shakes.  Hopefully, this toilet nightmare will end soon!

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

Sassy 1
on 6/26/11 2:03 am
I got it each time I switched to the next food stage for a few days.  I think it shocks your system.  Stay on top of the dehydration thing, though!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Ms. Poker Face
on 6/26/11 2:07 am
I called my doc who said I could take some metamucil or citrucel.  So my hubby (thank God for his wonderful support) went to get some metamucil and mixed me a glass.  I didn't get through the whole thing, but had maybe 2/3.  I hope to get some relief soon so I can stay hydrated.  

Thanks for the comments from everyone.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  Don't necessarily want the constipation either, but this runs stuff is for the birds.  As soon as drinking gets easier, that should help too.  I drank some protein shake yesterday and I think that slowed down my ability to drink water.  So clear liquids will be my friend today.  I still have to take tiny tiny sips and gurgling happens with every other one.

Doctor appt tomorrow.  Hoping to avoid the ER for fluids until then.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Most Active