Headed to Mexico...

Andrea G.
on 6/28/11 12:53 pm - Yorkton, Canada
Well I'm ready. I leave tomorrow for my surgery. I am getting the sleeve done with dr. almanza in tijuana. I am really nervous but am looking forward to having it done so I can start a new phase in my life. I will give updates on my experience when I return. So wish me luck!!
MenagerieNik
on 6/28/11 1:01 pm
 Good luck!

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
kajo98391
on 6/28/11 1:02 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
Good luck!  I hope it goes well for you.  I am just starting my journey with finding a doctor. 
urmisnshin2
on 6/28/11 1:29 pm - TX
Good Luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
1london
on 6/28/11 1:36 pm
Best wishes, try to focus on the excitement of the new you when your nerves kick in. 
You will be sleeved and home before you know it and on your way to becoming a healthier, smaller you!
I will be praying for all who will be sleeved this week!
Babs
on 6/28/11 4:07 pm - Walker, MI
Please be careful and here is some questions to ask and things to think about in regards to VSG surgery. I would ask how much experience he has and where he starts the stapling line from the pylorus also about keeping away from antrum. Ask if he does any reinforcing of staple line.  Good luck!
Because the procedure—performed laparoscopically with linear staples—is relatively simple, there is little room for variation in approach and technique. Results from a questionnaire filled out by surgeons at the First International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy in New York, in 2007, showed that most surgeons start stapling 5.5 cm from the pylorus. "Very few people go any closer to the pylorus. It seems to create more vomiting, dysphagia, pro­longed nausea," Dr. Gagner said. "By staying away from the antrum we seem to avoid some of those complications."
Surgeons do vary a bit in preference for size of the bougie-32 to 40 French—used to create the sleeve. Another varia­tion is in the choice of reinforcement if any—along the staple line in an attempt to reduce bleeding and leaks, the two common complications of the operation.
"Leaks that occur very close to the esophagus seem to be in the range of 1% to 2%, and lower leaks along the staple line occur less frequently, maybe 0.5%," Dr. Gagner said. Bleeding occurs in about 1% to 2% of patients. "We cannot make a claim that use of buttressing material reduces leaks, but there have been three or four publications showing that this mate­rial reduces bleeding."
To reinforce the staple line, some sur­geons use bovine pericardium; some, such as Dr. Szomstein, oversew with sutures. "We feel that this reinforcement is the most economic and efficient option," Dr. Szomstein said. "Some people don't use [any reinforcement] and it is still fine. There is no standard of care in that regard."
Although there is no clear-cut indica­tion for the sleeve, it may be suitable for most patients who meet National Institutes of Health criteria for any bariatric surgery
Andrea G.
on 6/28/11 5:49 pm - Yorkton, Canada
Thank you for the well wishes. Good luck to all of you as well!! This forum has meant a lot to me in this past month even though I don't post often, I feel connected to everyone who shares their story. It has given me hope and assurance that things will get better!!!! Here's to a healthier life for everyone!
hollykim
on 6/29/11 11:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Dr Almanza did my sleeve 16 monts ago and I had a fantastic experience there and have post op. Very little pain post op,no nausea at all,able to swallow well right away and still doing great.
I wish the same for you and keep us posted!
Holly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views