My first step...

barber64
on 7/6/11 12:03 pm - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
My first step Friday I’m seeing my PCP for the first time to let her know I want the bariatric surgery (VSG). Can anyone tell me what kind of questions I should ask or look out for?
gonersmom
on 7/6/11 12:12 pm
For me getting as much info about the different procedures by reading on this and other websites was the best thing I could do. That way I could be informed and knowledgeable about the different procedures. I informed my PCP more than he informed me. In fact, when I recently went for my 3 month post op with him he was impressed when originally he was trying to talk me out of the procedure.

That's my best suggestion. I wish you well in this journey. It's a great one to be on.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
vocalcoach
on 7/6/11 12:21 pm - MD
I am also just starting the process and taking it ALL in right now!! I have my 2nd appt with my PCP tomorrow and meet the nutritionist/dietician for the first time tomorrow as well. Met the surgeon last week, etc...

Not 100% sure if this is the best choice for me but excited about the learning process and the journey! I'm the highest weight I've ever been and I have a 7 yr old and a 3 yr old and I'm desperate to find the best solution for me to have life long success over this and to be around for my kids as they experience the fullest life possible!!

Good luck and blessings to you as you walk this road...=)
Maria
Debber7714
on 7/6/11 12:37 pm
Barber 64, I'm only 9 days out from my VSG surgery, but here's what I can suggest:
1.) Like gonersmom said-I got my best information from this website, and the Internet in general. I'm a firm believer that ignorance breeds fear, so learn all you can learn about bariatric surgery and what your options are.
2.) Attend a workshop where you're considering having surgery. They're very informative, and will help you in making your decision as to what type of surgery you should have.
3.) Once you've made your decision, its imparitive that you have your PCP (for insurance purposes sake) point out-AND DOCUMENT why you should lose weight-for health reasons, have them spell out exactly what health reason, i.e. osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, etc. That'll be needed when you go to your insurance company for approval-if you're having insurance cover it. Be sure your PCP is on your side when it comes to you having bariatric surgery...it could be a long road ahead of you if he/she doesn't agree.
4.) You also must have at least a 6-month documented attempt at losing weight through other means, i.e. Weigh****chers, Nutrisystem, etc.

Not all insurance companies are the same, nor do they ask for identical information, so check with your insurance carrier to see what their requirements are-again, if you're going to use an insurance company to pay for the surgery.

Hope this helps - and good luck in your journey.

HW=238 CW=194 SW=220 GW=125  Arrived in "One-derland" on 9/1/11! 
                    "What you choose is what you shall have...
                        what you allow is what shall continue."
roundater
on 7/6/11 12:59 pm - Lincoln, NE
Debber sums it up real good. Usually helps if you have a comorbidity which makes you a more likely  candidate. Also research the heck out of your surgeon. They are in the Find a Surgeon link and you can read reviews on them for starters. Plus ask in the local forums what other's experience with them was. Make sure your PCP is supportive of your decision since this is who will probably be seeing for the necessary lab work and tests prior to surgery. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views