6 days out an NO energy

anewdayforme
on 7/11/11 4:12 am
I have no energy.  None.  I force myself to go on one walk per day, but can't do more than 10 minutes.  I get up, drink, go lay down.  Get back up for a while, go lay back down.  It seems I can't be up for more than 30 or so minutes before I need to lay back down.  I don't sleep, I just lay there.  Is this how it was for any of you?  Please tell me it was and please tell me it gets better!!!!!! 
Thank you all for your help.  I don't know what I'd do without this forum!
sundaymorning
on 7/11/11 4:33 am
You will definitely get more energy.
One big thing that is draining you of energy is the anesthesia.
Your body needs a little time to get it out of it's system.
Just relax as much as possible and be sure to walk about every1-2 hours
Good luck and congrats on the surgery!
kimbethin
on 7/11/11 4:34 am - CA
Hi- Make sure your liquid intake is high enough.  Dehydation can make you tired.  Also make sure you are meeting your protein requirements.  You need that for energy and healing.  The last thing to consider is are you still taking pain meds?  They made me really drowsy.  Remember, a lot of energy is needed for healing and your body is working hard to adjust.  For the first week my sleep cycle was messed up, I usually slept for a few hours, then was up for a few then back for another nap, then was tired by 2pm.  After the first week things got better.  The first time I slept through the night felt so good!  I would force myself to do 2 walks daily, morning and evening and add a little time every few days, they say that exercise helps give you energy too.  Hang in there and good luck. Kim
putting one foot in front of the other...        
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/11 4:36 am
It was and it does get better.  For me the energy came back when I moved to solid foods. Until that point it just got a tiny bit better every day.
LittleMissSunshine
on 7/11/11 4:43 am
I was pretty lethargi****il I could get the full 80g of protein in every day consistently, but even then I only had enough energy to do the bare minimum (not counting working, I stayed home for 2 weeks).  It will get better, especially when you move on to pureed foods.  Just make sure you're covering all the bases each day: 64oz of water, 80g of protein and your multi-vitamins.  As long as you're doing those things, your energy will come back as your body heals and needs less resources to dedicate to recovery.  If it's helpful, I think i started feeling pretty close to normal around the 4th week.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

emelar
on 7/11/11 5:00 am - TX
As my doc kept stressing - this is MAJOR surgery.  Your body has been poked, prodded and cut on.  And, just to top it off, you can't even eat!

I was pretty much in bed for the first 10 days.  I'd get up, get my critters fed and cared for, watch tv for a bit, and then go lay down.  Get up, do a load of laundry, and go lay down.  You get the picture.  I didn't start feeling energeti****il I transitioned to soft foods (my plan was full liquids to softs to regular), then WHAM!  Energy coming out of my pores. 

Take it easy on yourself.  Move enough to keep your blood circulating, but don't overdo it.  It will get better. 
roundater
on 7/11/11 6:30 am - Lincoln, NE
Agreed with the other posters. Make sure you get those liquids in - 64 oz - and sufficient protein   - I shoot for 100 grams per day. The physical activity is hard but as your body can tolerate it increase it gradually. If that still doesn't work check with your doc.
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views