EUREKA!!!!!

mzchocolatebrwn
on 7/11/11 1:59 pm - chattanooga, TN
i have been feeling sooooo bad this past week (2 weeks post op), after feeling so great immediately following  being sleeved .  i have had nausea, dizziness, increased fatigue, "brain zaps", poor appetite, and been having crazy dreams.  i was taking celexa (citalopram), prior to my surgery, and havent had it since then (6-27).  looked up withdrawal symptoms for this medication and EUREKA! i have most of the classic withdrawal symptoms. im so glad this is the problem, cause i was starting to doubt my decision....just a wee little bit.  i guess it has taken a week or so to get low or out of my system.

so the lesson learned here is: i was a cash pay, and failed to keep my PCP in the loop of my care. 
roundater
on 7/11/11 2:12 pm - Lincoln, NE
I have been taking citalopram both before and after surgery and have not had the symptoms you describe. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

mzchocolatebrwn
on 7/11/11 2:32 pm - chattanooga, TN
i just started back taking it today, after being off of it for 2 weeks.  i think this will do the trick!
roundater
on 7/11/11 7:38 pm - Lincoln, NE
Good deal. Hopefully as I get farther down the road I may be able to ditch my antidepressants altogether. Have already said bye bye to my diabetes meds - with doc approval of course. Successful journey to us both.
Rich Sonderegger

Elleisa71
on 7/11/11 2:58 pm

Oh yes, going cold turkey off some antidepressants can cause BAD side effects. I only missed mine 1 day (day of surgery) because I had heard about how bad going off Effexor can be. I am glad you figured out why you felt bad. You will probably feel so much better in the next 2 weeks! Although, I still have crazy dreams sometimes on the medication

HW 421/SW 408//GW 180
debk21
on 7/11/11 10:51 pm - Mansfield, TX
I was also taking citalopram prior to surgery.  When I went to my PCP at about 3 months out, I told him I wanted to go off it.  He cut my dose in half (from 20mg to 10mg) for a month and then I went off it.  I got a headache for about a week, but that was it.  You should really keep your PCP in the loop.  I was also self pay but told him what I was doing and am now going off my High BP meds too...

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

laurenskapolska
on 7/12/11 1:12 am - Windsor Locks, CT

Oh yeah, you have the classic symptoms.  You can't just stop cold turkey on a lot of the anti-d's.  Happened to me once and the brain zaps are not fun!!

Good luck in your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views