Dumping? Help!

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/15/11 9:06 am, edited 7/15/11 9:14 am
Well, twice in the last two days now I've experienced something weird and I'm wondering if this is dumping?  I know dumping is not traditionally associated with VSG, so I want to get some input from all you great OH peeps!

I have been eating 5-6 tiny meals per day since getting on pureed.  Yesterday I was eating my late afternoon snack, which was drinkable kefir yogurt.  It has 70 cal, 10 carb, 6 protein.  Afterward, I felt hot, shaky and could feel my heart beating.  Odd because I also had it as my mid-morning snack and felt fine.  Maybe I drank it too fast?

Today, I had some mashed potatoes with melted cheese on top.  I know mashed potatoes aren't a good choice but I've been fighting diarrhea so was trying something different to eat to combat it.  I had them as my dinner tonight and got the same hot, shaky, heart beating thing.  Odd, again, because I had them for lunch with none of this.

What's going on?  Is it dumping or something else?

Edit: My diarrhea is due to a c. diff infection I got in the hospital.  Confirmed by two c. diff tests.  Just started new antibiotic today.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ruggie
on 7/15/11 9:27 am, edited 7/15/11 9:27 am - Sacramento, CA
You might also want to check out this thread started earlier this morning: Link

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/15/11 9:58 am
Thanks ruggie.  My symptoms were slightly different from the original poster, but I learned a thing or two from the replies.  I got these feelings almost immediately and then 30 minutes later I'm fine.  At least it's quick, so I'm thinking it's not dumping so much as the hypoglycemia from rapid emptying of sugar into intestine.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

MacMadame
on 7/15/11 10:01 am - Northern, CA
 When we eat too much, sometimes that irritates the vagus nerve and that leads to feeling flushed and shaky and the beating heart. This is so easier to do early out. Sometimes "too much" can be as little as 1/2 an oz. of something!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

hollykim
on 7/15/11 1:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
How much sugar was in the drinkable kefir? Also,mashed potatoes turn into pure sugar in your system,almost immediately. I would say it was too much sugar getting into your system too fast.

Why did it not happen when you had the items at lunch? Who knows? Sometimes our  sleeves tolerate an item and sometimes they don't.

I would stay on your regular plan;what you are eating is not making a difference in your diarrhea. Nothing will make a difference in that till the C-diff is killed by the antibiotic.
GL,
H

roundater
on 7/15/11 3:36 pm - Lincoln, NE
Agree with holly. Stay on your regular plan and if it persists check with your doc.
Rich Sonderegger

Road Less Travelled
on 7/16/11 11:45 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I dump --- with "fats"

If something is high in "bad fats" I will dump big time

hot - like a major hot flash, sweating, weak, dizzy, and major nausea........ I have to lay down

once I had 3 bits of Tiramsu and I ended up in the restaurant bathroom wishing I could lay on the cold tile.  It's happens with all sorts of food - from a crust on a pot pie, to ice cream, to sour cream on a potato --- all in all the common denominator was "fat"

it's a blessing - as it keeps me away from ice cream and sweets - I can however eat non-fat sweets like laughfy taffy or jelly beans when I need a sweet fix.

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views