The surgeon doesn't want to sleeve me... :(

Lexie 84
on 7/20/11 11:40 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
I had my first consultation today...he asked me what surgery did I have in my mind. Of course I said THE SLEEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! He told me that he thinks I should get the gastric bypass b/c I'm diabetic and there's a much greater chance to resolve my diabetes and also more weight loss associated with the bypass. From what I've read...I find it hard to believe there'd be a major difference. Everyone on this forum has posted such great results with the sleeve. He is like really anti-sleeve. He said he does them, but he insists that the bypass is better. I'm so confused...I had made up my mind that I wouldn't want to deal with the stigma and complications associated with the bypass. Now he has me second guessing...

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/20/11 11:44 am
Pray about. Do your research. His preference is not important. Find another surgeon if you have to. Whatever you do, don't have a surgery that you don't want.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
onemoretry
on 7/20/11 11:48 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
I totally agree with this, pray about it and talk to another surgeon if you need to.
Onedaysoon
on 7/20/11 11:55 am - PA
I agree..his preference is not important. I believe my surgeon's preference is also the bypass. I didn't ask him that, but I definitely got that impression. I think in a way it's easier for them to recomend the bypass....they have probably done tons of them at this point and could probably do one with their eyes closed....patients drop tons of weight quickly and don't have the option of going back to the sweets (at least in the beginning). So I think it's really the lack of experience with the sleeve that puts a lot of surgeons off. It's just not mainstream enough now.
~Carly~
~

hollykim
on 7/20/11 2:30 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM Pacific Time, Onedaysoon wrote:
I agree..his preference is not important. I believe my surgeon's preference is also the bypass. I didn't ask him that, but I definitely got that impression. I think in a way it's easier for them to recomend the bypass....they have probably done tons of them at this point and could probably do one with their eyes closed....patients drop tons of weight quickly and don't have the option of going back to the sweets (at least in the beginning). So I think it's really the lack of experience with the sleeve that puts a lot of surgeons off. It's just not mainstream enough now.
I knew you would not be wanting to give out false information so wanted to let you know that not every RNY'er has trouble with sugar,not in the beginning and not ever. 

In fact,MORE RNY;ers don't dump than those who do.
GL

redsnapper1975
on 7/20/11 11:58 am
I'd get a second opinion and find a surgeon who will whole-heartedly support you in getting the surgery YOU want.  Good luck!
~ Kim

cabcab
on 7/20/11 12:01 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Defintely go get second and third opinions with different surgeons.  I've seen lots of people on this VSG forum saying their diabetes was resolved with the sleeve. 
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

perfectlayde
on 7/20/11 12:15 pm
Definitely go get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon.  The sleeve is relately new for some surgeons so he may not be comfortable with the procedure.  I was actually introduced and recommended to the sleeve by my surgeon and my starting weight was more than yours and I also have diabetes.  Speaking of my diabetes, I was put on a sliding insulin scale as opposed to the pills for right after surgery.  I have not had to use my insulin or pills since surgery since my levels have been normal and I was only sleeved last Monday.
HW- 357 | SW - 346.2 | CW - 244.0 | GW - 175

Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death!          
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 12:22 pm - WV

I would also find a different surgeon. My surgeon actually talked me out of the bypass and into getting the sleeve. He said a lot of surgeons try to convince people to get the sleeve because the surgeon makes more money because it is more involved. He said even though he makes less money, the sleeve is safer and has less complications. Good luck!

Lexie 84
on 7/20/11 12:25 pm - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
I think I will remain assured with my sleeve. I think he is a very capable surgeon but he just prefers the sleeve-he said he does both on a regular basis and he is leaving the decision up to me...so we shall see. I definitely will continue to research and pray about it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views