Question about VSG and RNY

bathoria
on 7/23/11 2:38 am - San Antonio, TX
 My BMI is about 38 and I am doing some research about which of these surgeries would be better for me. I already went to a seminar so I know how they are performed but since I only need to lose about 70-75 lbs, I am quiet scared if I get the RNY I will loose too much weight? So with the VSG I could lose the 75 lbs I need and  not too much? I need suggestions. I don't know if someone had both surgeries done. Thanks!!!

USAF Wife
on 7/23/11 3:33 am
Regardless of how much someone has to lose, I honestly believe you have to choose the surgery that you can live with for life. Meaning, if you are willing to deal with the complications, and vitamin issues that are prevalent with RNY, and you handle the medication restrictions, and once you've researched the regain stats and complications, if you're still okay with having RNY then that's the surgery for you. Personally, I could not and would not accept those options. For more reference, check out the revision forum and go back a few pages at all the patients looking to revise their RNY.

I chose VSG for many reasons, and have shared them in the previous topics in the last 24 hours, scroll down and see the 3-4 topics that have been posted in the last 2 days for VSG vs. RNY.

Very few people have experience with VSG and RNY only because VSG patients go for DS if they are not successful with VSG alone, and those patients are typically over 400lbs with 200+ pounds to lose. However, there are several members on this forum that have 200-300lbs in less than 2 years and they are thriving, getting to goal and succeeding with VSG alone without the stringent vitamin regimen of a malabsorptive procedure.

Check out :  http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

bathoria
on 7/23/11 10:41 am - San Antonio, TX
 I thanks for your answer. Very helpful. So you had the VSG done since 2009? I am just afraid because I been reading horror stories about the VSG,about people having problems with the staples  :(
wert
on 7/23/11 11:58 am - MN
Horror stories about the staples? I've never ever heard a single horror story about staples. I'm interested. Do tell... 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

bathoria
on 7/23/11 2:56 pm - San Antonio, TX
On July 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM Pacific Time, wert wrote:
Horror stories about the staples? I've never ever heard a single horror story about staples. I'm interested. Do tell... 
 is not actually about the staples is about a leak,read here 

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14560-vsg-leak/

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/18193-major-complications/
emelar
on 7/23/11 12:00 pm - TX
Problems with the staples?  What kind of problems?  That's the last thing I've heard about people having trouble with.  In fact, I don't think I've heard of anyone having problems with the staples.
USAF Wife
on 7/23/11 11:32 pm
The RNY has staples too and can leak just like VSG. Actually the RNY staple line is more complicated over the VSG staple line.

And, yes, I'm over 2 years out from VSG. I had a leak, and an extensive recovery, and I'd do it all over again to live the life I have today.

VSG still has far less long term complications than RNY when you consider all factors that are involved with both surgeries.

Your surgeon should be able to give you solid leak stats for his own experience.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

bathoria
on 7/24/11 12:14 am - San Antonio, TX
On July 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM Pacific Time, USAF Wife wrote:
The RNY has staples too and can leak just like VSG. Actually the RNY staple line is more complicated over the VSG staple line.

And, yes, I'm over 2 years out from VSG. I had a leak, and an extensive recovery, and I'd do it all over again to live the life I have today.

VSG still has far less long term complications than RNY when you consider all factors that are involved with both surgeries.

Your surgeon should be able to give you solid leak stats for his own experience.
 Thank you. and Congrats of your achivement :)
The_Chungs
on 7/23/11 4:24 am
As usual, great response USAF Wife!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

Poodles
on 7/23/11 8:58 am - TX
I would recommend you research the VSG and the DS.  Skip that RNY trianwreck all together...
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views