Additional Vitamin Suggestions

stepmomster
on 7/27/11 3:07 am
Good Morning,

I am hoping to have my VSG in September and have already started to take the vitamins suggested by Kaiser. That includes:

~Chewable Multi-vitamin with Iron
~Chewable calcium Citrate (1500mg per day)
~B12 Sub-lingual (500mcg per day)
Vitamin B1/Thiamin (100mg per day)

Would you recommend any other vitamins?

Thanks!
wildfan
on 7/27/11 3:12 am
Vitamin D 1000 ICU helps the body heal
wildfan
on 7/27/11 3:13 am
Oh, and never too early to start on the protein to build up the stores in your body, get your body and tastebuds used to it, and get a jump start on your mucle health before surgery.
garo90
on 7/27/11 3:22 am
 Hi do you have any suggestions for the protein supplements? I hate the protein shakes.

Really appreciate any help.
stepmomster
on 7/27/11 5:08 am
Thank you!
I forgot to mention that my Doctor also suggests the Vitamin D. I get paid this week and am hoping to pick some up then.
Now by protein are you meaning the protein drinks? 
I have 15 days until my first meeting with the surgeon! hopefully I will approved and given a surgery date  :)
Thanks again for your help !
~Heather
Smardeepants
on 7/27/11 3:21 am
I agree with the vitamin D... it also helps with weight loss/regulation and sleep! 

My surgeon also recommended (to me as a pre-op) 1000mg of vitamin C per day to help with healing, biotin, and protein (to build up stores).

Good luck, good to get into the vitamin habit now! 

stepmomster
on 7/27/11 5:11 am
Thank you!
I get paid this week and am hoping to pick these up then. I heard that Biotin may help with hair loss... have you heard this?

When you say protein are you meaning the protein drinks? 

Thanks for the feedback!

I have 15 days until my first meeting with the surgeon! hopefully I will approved and given a surgery date  :)

~Heather
wildfan
on 7/27/11 5:15 am
If you are on liquid diet, then yet, protein drinks. try Unjury, they are one of the more palatable ones out there. But all tastes are different. What I like you might hate, and vice versa. gatorade makes a protein enhanced drink that is pretty good. I drank a lot of that pre and post op for a while. Otherwise buy some smaller sizes to find what you like before stocking up on the bigger stuff. Most health retailers like GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc have a guarantee. So if you buy some powder that you HATE, you can return the unused portion for credit towards something else. Nice to have that option. although I never used it. Doc told me get in protein, and I took it whether I liked it or not as it was effort for the greater good. 3.5 months post-op and down over 100 pounds, so its worked!
stepmomster
on 7/27/11 8:01 am
Thats good to know about GNC. I was just there last night but felt really lost and unsure about what to purchase... kind of overwhelmed. It is good to know about their return policy though! Spending $40 on a mix that I may end up hating was a huge fear!
Congrats on your weight loss so far!! 
 Thanks again!
~Heather
disabled_nurse
on 7/28/11 11:20 am, edited 7/27/11 11:21 pm - Bogalusa, LA
at some gnc they will fix you a sample...................... I love max protein I can get at gnc, www.the worldaccordingtoeggface.com has some great protein ice cream and recipes, hope you find one, don't buy too much your taste changes after surgery, maybe buy some unflavored protein, after surgery you can add it to anything.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views