What do you eat to stay under 30 g carbs?

jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 10:55 am
excellent info...thank you very much!
newme41211
on 7/28/11 11:03 pm
My doctor said no pasta, bread, or rice for 6 months and i stcik to that after 3  1/2 months.  I eat a soft boiled egg or hard boiled for breckfast or greek yogurt (becasue it has more protein0  Lunch I have cold cut slice with cheese rolled up  and weigh it so it's not over 3 oz.  then add a little tomato.  Dinner 3 oz of meat  ( mostly fish) and  green beans or some other veg.  Smack cottage cheese or baby bell cheese or string cheese.

Good luck
jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 10:57 am
thanks for your reply...good luck to you also :)
GaryO
on 7/28/11 11:48 pm
I'm with you.  It is very hard for me to keep under 50.  I am still a carb lover and for some reason, when I want to put something in my mouth I never crave a pece of meat or a veggie, its always a cracker, a sweet or something bad.  I am trying to convince the family to stop buying those dang crackers...a real downfall for me. 

jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 10:59 am
this seems to be my issue...I don't really eat bread or pastas or rice...but I do love the low fat pita chips and crackers and that type of snack even tho I know it has carbs and they are so not good for me...but those are the things I crave!! I wish I could change my thinking and cravings sometimes...this would be a lot easier :)
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 12:00 am - Woodbridge, VA
Ooh, I'm good at this game!  :P

The trick to a sucessful and easily maintainable low-carb diet is to NOT be afraid of fat. If you try to limit both carbs AND fat, you'll be miserable. Fat is NOT bad for you when you're eating low-carb; it essentialy becomes your primary energy source. When I'm eating as well as I like to (not right now since I just got back from an 8-day vacation!), I aim for 10% or fewer of my daily calories from carbs and 60% or MORE of my daily calories from fat. This generally results in excellent cholesterol readings, amazingly well-controlled type 2 diabetes, and weight loss.

Here are examples of common snacks and meals for me:

- low carb protein shake (low-carb protein powder mixed with either 1/3 heavy whipping cream and 2/3 water or with unsweetened almond milk and 1-2 tablespoons of oil (almond oil, macadamia nut oil, MCT oil, or coconut oil for hot beverages)

- egg salad (hard boiled eggs with mayo and a bit of mustard)

- cheese crisps: sprinkle shredded parmesan, cheddar, or jack cheese into little piles on a coated paper plate and microwave until just crispy

- rolled up sandwich meat and cheese dipped in mayo or mustard

- salad with protein toppings (some greens with cheese, egg, chicken, bacon, and a creamy or oil-based low-carb dressing)

- full-fat plain Greek yogurt (Fage is usually the only brand I can find full fat) with some berries and Splenda or sugar free flavored syrups

- any meat as long as it's not battered or breaded; can top with creamy sauces, cheese, bacon, etc. Examples: chicken thighs marinated in low-carb creamy dressing or Italian dressing baked and topped with shredded cheese; crock pot of chicken thighs or stew beef, jar of salsa, block of cream cheese, and top with shredded cheddar just before serving; baked pork chops wrapped with bacon; fried chicken wings (plain, buffalo, or any other low-carb sauce/dressing; just make sure the wings are not breaded); burger patties topped with bacon and cheese, dipped in mayo mixed with a little bbq sauce; ham steak topped with a little dijon mustard sauce and Swiss cheese...

- low-carb side dish options: deviled eggs (I mix mayo, mustard, and a little sweet pickle relish into my yolks, and a dash of worcestershire sauce sometimes), raw celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and/or cucumber spears in creamy dressing; mashed cauliflower with butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon; steamed broccoli florets with cheese sauce; steamed green beans with slivered almonds; steamed baby brussels sprouts with butter, garlic, and parmesan...
jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 11:08 am
this is very different from the way I have been eating..but I am willing to try anything to keep this going  and figure out what is going to work for me and something I can live with forever...thank you very much for all of this info..it's very helpful and I am going to try it!!
candyturbo
on 7/29/11 2:42 am
It is hard. I am only three weeks post-op, but I did a super low carb diet before surgery and it worked very well at pre-surgery weight-loss. 30 carbs is approximately what you eat in the first phase of Atkins (they start at 20 actually). I saw someone else refer to Atkins and it is a great resource. You don't have to buy the book, the Atkins.com website has everything you can imagine. They have recipes, trackers, food lists, etc.

Also, and this is important, if you are following 30 carbs per day based on your doctor's or dietician's advice, make sure you know if it is TOTAL carbs or NET carbs. That makes a very big difference. If it is net carbs, it is easier, because you can have a few more total carbs by eating high fiber foods.

I was very strict on my pre-op diet, but I managed to find some amazing foods I could eat and enjoy. If you read Atkins and learn how you can eat more fat on a very low carb diet and still lose weight, then you will see where the possibilities lie.

This is what I ate and I lost weight - more than on any other diet plan I tried before!!

Breakfast:
Almost every day I had an egg with a touch of cream (not milk - too many carbs and not enough fat), cooked in a little butter. Added some cheese on top.

Sometimes for breakfast: Unsweetened Greek yogurt with artificial sweetener. Sometimes a piece of sausage or bacon, turkey version is best so you don't get too much fat.

Lunch: salads with low carb dressing. I would include lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, sunflower seeds and a protein like chicken.  Or I might do ground beef in a salsa (low sodium) to make it a taco salad and have it with sour cream instead of dressing.

A fun lunch idea I love is to take cold cuts (ham or turkey), just a few slices, spread with a little cream cheese, add a slice of dill pickle in the middle, roll it up and eat. I didn't think this sounded good but when I tried it, it was delicious and very low carb. (you only need a few slices of the deli meat and be sure not to use sugar cured ham)

Dinner: always a meat and a vegetable. I ate a lot of grilled chicken, lean pork cuts grilled, turkey burgers, blue cheese burgers (DELICIOUS!!), sometimes steak, turkey breast, etc. (I don't eat fish but this would add a great variety)

My vegetables:  salad, tomatoes (in small quantities, not considered super low carb food), asparagus brushed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and baked until tender; zucchini cooked in aluminum foil on the grill with olive oil, salt, and pepper; green beans with balsamic vinegar or plain; steamed broccoli, salt and pepper or a little cheese; cabbage, cooked in water until tender and then with salt and pepper; cucumbers, raw with salt and pepper; okra - stir fried;  other vegetables that work but that I don't eat or eat rarely are brussels sprouts, cauliflower (you can actually use this as a substitute for rice if you grate it - check the internet for how), eggplant, bean sprouts, celery, mushrooms, pumpkin (makes a good low carb mousse); spinach, and watercress (great crunch). There are lots of creative ways to cook these veges on the internet and on Atkins specifically. (Search Atkins, low carb or diabetic recipes)

You have to not be afraid of fat but also don't overdo it. It is possible to enjoy more fats, if you eat super low carb, and still lose weight. However, everyone's body is different so you have to experiment until you get the right mix for you. Atkins has a lot of great advice on how to do this. If salt is an issue for you, salt substitute works well in all of the suggestions above.

After a few weeks of my low carb diet, I stopped wanting carbs. I was never hungry because what I was eating filled me up fast and stayed with me longer.

Drink lots of water and ASK YOUR DOCTOR before you change your eating habits dramatically. Take a multivitamin if the doc says it's ok for you.

I am looking forward to being able to eat what I want because being on pureed and then soft foods has meant that there are more carbs in my diet. I am ready for my salads and crunchy vegetables again. The low carb approach was so successful for me, I have no desire to eat any other way. For ongoing weight maintenance (once I get there), I will target around 60 carbs per day, up to 100 on occasion. For now, I want to get back to 30 to 40 carbs maximum daily.

Good luck!
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 12:11 pm
very useful info...I have got to change things up and this seems like something I can really stick with..thank you and Good luck to you also...getting thru the pureed stage is the worst of it I think so you will be good soon!! :)
NewDawn50
on 7/29/11 4:48 am
I agree with USAWife, but I do just under 40 carbs instead of 30.  Its a rare day if I go over.

As for adding fats, I love fat (of COURSE), but when I went for my last check-up, I was borderline high cholesterol, so I've had to cut back.  This made it so difficult to get all my protein from foods I like that I had to re-introduce protein shakes back into my diet, but I got a recipe I can tolerate, so its all good.

If cholesterol is not a problem for you, I agree, don't be afraid of fat - you're not getting enough calories for it to matter.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views