What do you eat to stay under 30 g carbs?

jennjenn07
on 7/28/11 8:12 pm
I guess I don't get it and honestly, I haven't really been keeping track of my carb count...but since I am not losing very fast I am guessing my carb intake may be part of the problem....my question is...what do you eat daily to stay on such a low carb diet?? examples of meals?? 
katier825
on 7/28/11 8:23 pm
How far out are you?  In the losing phase, I was usually in the 40-50 range for carbs, even though my plan didn't have a specific limit for carbs.  Thirty seems a little low to me, but the opinions on carbs vary widely.  Mostly meats, veggies.  I admit, I did eat potatoes sometimes, but only 1 or 1-1/2 ounces when I did.  After 8 months, I still don't eat much bread.  I love fresh berries, but when I shop, the ones I see are not very fresh, so I don't get them as often as I'd like.

Also watch sodium.  I found that when I ate deli meats, I retained water.  I tried a few low sodium ones, but they were nasty.
jennjenn07
on 7/28/11 8:27 pm
Sorry...I guess I did leave out an important factor...I am 10 months out...I have lost 107 lbs, but it has slowed tremendously and I still have about 70 more to lose
USAF Wife
on 7/28/11 8:47 pm
Meat, cheese, eggs, and greek yogurt. The only veggies I ate were green beans and broccoli. I would eat refried/pinto/black beans on rare occasion, but it was not a meal of beans. Usually, they were just additions to chili, or a meat meal. I never ate fruit during my losing stage. I still rarely eat fruit, and didn't eat fruit pre-op so it's just more of a preference.

Breakfast- poached egg, 2 cheese chunks, I'd throw in some turkey bacon on occasion
Lunch- was typically meat/cheese or chicken or tuna salad made with greek yogurt
Late lunch- repeat or whatever I had before, or leftovers from a previous meal, chili was a staple as well
Dinner - was the protein food from my family's meal, and this is when I'd typically eat the green veggie for the day.

I stayed around 30 carbs per day, sometime**** 40 but it was a rare occasion.

It's super boring, but it worked for me. I did get creative for seasoning/spices, used my crock pot a lot, and my george foreman grill. I stayed in ketosis for my entire losing stage.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Suane
on 7/28/11 9:43 pm - Livingston County, MI
I have to agree, 30g a day of carbs is so low. I try to get about 15g or less each meal. I do eat eggbeaters made into an omelet with ff feta cheese and sometimes chicken for breakfast. Carbmaster yogurt for lunch with string cheese, dinner is usually salmon, turkey or chicken and a small amount of veggies.

Remember that all fruits, vegetables, sugars and grains are carbs so choose wisely and get the most nutrients out of those carbs that you can.

107 pounds in 10 months is amazing too. The weight loss will slow down but tracking your intake of food helps immensely to see just where you might be goofing up and causing a stall.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 10:47 am
thank you very much for the info...I am thrilled with my weight loss because this time, I am seriously working at it and doing it the right way with exercise as well...but from reading all these  posts about low carb eating, I got to thinking that maybe that's why my weight loss has slowed down so much..thank you again for the good info!
justeric78
on 7/28/11 10:47 pm - Houston, TX
I have been buying one of the roasted chickens at the store and removing as much skin/fat as I can and then taking that each day for lunch. I also eat cheese specifically laughing cow wedges and the mini babybel cheese circles. I also on occasion eat beef jerky and string cheese. If you stay away from bread/pasta/rice it is not too hard to keep the carbs so low. You though are further out then me and lost much more weight so take this for whatever it is worth :)

jennjenn07
on 7/29/11 10:54 am
I think I could actually stay away from toast and actual bread forever, because it's so hard to digest and most times it just hurts....but unfortunately the thin bagels and english muffins are pretty easy on my tummy and those I am having a hard time with...I can't eat pasta and rice is like a once a month thing for me...so no issues there...I don't really buy crackers or chips (the low fat ones) anymore....but I am getting carbs somewhere!! I must be! :)

I never think about buying the roasted chicken but that's an excellent option...thank you and good luck to you!
carrierae
on 7/28/11 10:58 pm - WA
I would suggest get the atkins diet book and refer to it. They really lay out carbs for ya. Here is a sample diet

B; low carb protein shake (pure protein) or an egg with cheese
L: a couple slices lunch meat rolled up w/ cheese and a couple olives
D: some roasted chicken breast, green beans.

Supplement with low carb yogurt and shakes as needed.

Look up my dr. (Chebli) on his website he has a 40 page book that is examples of diet.

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

Angela.62
on 7/29/11 2:26 am
Just wanted to say thanks for the information on Dr. CHebli's website .. that diet book he has there was really informative!  I'm 3 weeks out and still learning so all the information I can get is good .. thanks!

SW 253 Surgery Date July 5th, 2011
Most Active