why two surgeries

katy
on 7/29/11 7:50 am
i am revising from lap band to vsg iwas told that it had to be done in  two seperate surgeries one to remove the band and one for vsg. but if i have surgery won't i have scar tissue anyway in addition to the scar tissue i had when the band was placed.. Wouldn't one surgery be safer?
Brittany E.
on 7/29/11 7:59 am - Norman, OK
That may just be the surgeon's preference. I revised from a band and my surgeon removed my band and did the VSG all in one surgery. He said the band removal only takes about 15 minutes as long as everything is normal.
HW: 325-SW weight: 305     
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 8:04 am
It appears from what I've been reading that some surgeons are leaning towards the two surgery route due to complications arising from scar tissue/ damage of the stomach from the band. They believe allowing the stomach to heal after removal for a period of time allows for less post-VSG complications. Unfortunately they frequently see damage to the tissue of the stomach or esophagus when they get in there that wasn't obvious from any pre-op tests. You may want to ask them what their reasons are, as they may be different. 
cindydcole
on 7/29/11 8:12 am - TN
Hello.  My surgeon removed my band, removed my gallbladder and gave me the sleeve all in one surgery.  My band had been in for nearly 7 years and my surgeon did not have any problems and I didn't have any complications.  I'm so glad he was able to do it in one surgery.  I would think that one surgery would be safer, and also cheaper on you and your insurance company.  Good luck.

Caligirlgina
on 7/29/11 8:47 am - CA
I had lapband for 4 years and my doctor also did two surgeries. He said for him he rather do it that way to prevent possible complications. I waited 4 months after and I still had horrible problems in surgery from the lapband scar tissue. He now makes people wait one year after lapband is out to fully heal.
Good luck
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

ot2005byrd
on 7/29/11 10:11 am
I had band for 1 year and my surgeon did my revision to sleeve in 1 surgery with no complications to speak of. My case was a little different cause I had a GTube when I was an infant so he ended up doing a small open procedure, but if it wasn't for that he could have done it the other way. I haven't had any trouble with sleeve and still have good restriction. Not hungary much 5 months out.
Most Active