3 wks post op eating habit help needed

Pat-60
on 7/31/11 10:46 pm
It has been 3 weeks today since I had my VSG.  All the instructions I have are for RNY and I need some advice please.  I measure and record everything that goes in my mouth and have been lucky to lose 34 lbs since starting Optifast 2 weeks before surgery.  I am presently on full liquids.

Do you wait a certain period of time before each mouthful?

Is there a certain amount of water you drink at once?  I seem to be able to drink a small bottled water  in an hour and was wondering if that is too fast, don't want to do any harm.

I seem to have hit the 3 week stall now so I'll just have to ride it out.  Any idea how long they last?

The next phase for me if pureed.  How mashed up does this have to be?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Nov 29/10   Referred to St Josephs Hamilton
Dec 6/10    Orientation
Mar 9/11     Nurse, Dietician & Social Worker
Mar 31/11   Internest
May 26/11  Surgeon & pre-surgery class
JULY 11/11  VSG, hernia repair by  Dr Mehran Anvari
SassyItalian
on 7/31/11 11:18 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
As im sure you figured out everyones plan is different..For the first week or 2 the drinking schedule was 1 ounce every 15 minutes. I personally could not drink a whole bottled water over an hour for a while but as long as you are comfortable and not pushing it then i guess its something your doc could tell you is ok or not. Some say they felt no restricition with liquids because they go right through.

as far as purrees/mushies make sure you arent getting large chunks of anything. Examples of what my doctor considered mushies/purees were: cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, string cheese (I lived on this), mini babybel cheese, chili, scambled eggs, oatmeal, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc..

And as the stall goes, put the scale away for a week or 2, dont weigh every day, the weight will fall off as long as you are following some sort of plan which you can google, i know cornell has their food list and everything posted for VSG online.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Cali1212
on 7/31/11 11:47 pm
I am 5 weeks post...I did have to wait a bit between bites (or sips as it may be) maybe 1 minute. I found I could eat a little more that way without pain. Otherwise I would get bad cramps. I could not drink water until last week and a bottle of water (with Crystal Light) will last me 2 hours even on a hot day. My rule was 2 ounces every 15 minutes..not matter what it was. As for the mushy stage I still stuck with soups as it was the easiest to get down as well as popscicles but I also ate egg salad, cottage cheese, refried beans with some cheese, cheese sticks (chewed to bits), greek yogurt and mashed potatoes with some cheese added. If I was out and about I would get Taco Bell's pinto and cheese (could eat about half). I had to chew it until it was a paste. Little bits are the key.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views