To bind or not to bind?

chunkymonkey1991
on 8/2/11 9:56 pm
I know some people have mentioned binders (aka Spanx-like material) that they have used to keep skin tight as they lose weight. In my pre-op class the women kept stressing to wear loose clothes, nothing that would irritate the incisions but I've heard other people who had the hospital issue them binders or who wore them from the beginning.

What have you done? Should I buy one? When should I start wearing it? Does it actually help avoid loose skin?

I know this isn't one of the more major issues with this surgery but I'm 255 and 20 years old, I'd prefer not to need plastics if i can avoid it.

Thanks!
USAF Wife
on 8/2/11 10:07 pm
Personally, I don't believe that anything other time and genetics determine how your skin will turn out. You can moisturize like crazy, wear stuff, but the skin has been damaged from being fat. Grant it, you are way younger than I am, but genetics play a big role in how your skin will rebound.

I wouldn't have been able to wear anything constrictive soon after surgery. The bloating, and swelling were far too intense.

Even once I lost weight, I hated wearing those things. I don't feel like my skin can breathe. I do have a couple of the tank varieties that I like to wear under tight sweaters, or tanks because it just smooths everything out, but for the bottoms, I hate those things.

I think I should stress that I do NOT medically need plastic surgery. I want plastic surgery, a tummy tuck, and a boob job are my list. BUT, medically I do not need to have surgery at this point. I punished my skin for over a decade by being morbidly obese so I'm left with that skin being stretched out and damaged. The one good thing is that my skin has rebounded nicely, it's changed dramatically since getting into maintenance initially and then rebounded even more the year following me hitting goal and my weight stabilizing.

I did wear a spandexy type pant while working out just to compress the remaining fat and to keep it from moving around and jiggling.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

b_scene33
on 8/2/11 10:10 pm - OH

I wish i had post op experiance to tell you-- im still pre-opo (9-7) but i would say you should try what feels right for you. Unfortunatly that might mean waitign until then to find out. I know aot of people regardless of the surgery wear binders for post op, i think its liek a mix between pressure and keeping it warm. I plan on wearing a binder, i would suggest finding on that wraps on instead of slides on.

i dont know if it actually helps loose skin, you could ask your dr. but i do know that i wear one pretty consisitantly, and when i take it off i can fit into my clothes better then, but if i dont war it for a week or what not things fit different afterwards.  i want to look thinner for sure, so for me its a preference, maybe if your mroe comfortable with them pre, you'll be more comfortable post. (but again i cant say for sure.)
Hope someone else can give you more insight!!

Best of luck!!!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

Lalamonkey
on 8/2/11 11:09 pm - GA
Hey Monkey,

From one Monkey to another...USAF - Whether you need surgery or not is mostly about Genetics - I'll add age to that equation too.  If you have been fat for 25-30 years too you may have some issues.

As for the binders... Seriously who needs that CRAP.  In my humble opinon they don't do anything but irritate.  Seriously... Gastroentrologist call spanks a money maker because they cause unnecessary pressure on your guts.  Unless you are wearing it under Dr. orders as a compression garment post plastics (worn to keep fluid from building between skin and muscle layers) then why bother.

Do all you can to be successful with your surgery, exercise and tone every chance you get, and just LOVE what you got is my best advice.  We weren't models before and most of us won't be models after weight loss - Not to say we can't look our personal best.

Good luck!

Lalamonkey

USAF Wife
on 8/2/11 11:26 pm
Brandilynn posted some of these photos for some perspective:

For me, it clicked when she posted them because of the difference between "need" and "want" was very obvious.

NEED
http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanager2/files/30002494/2010/07/2010-07-27-15-34-17-7-david-had-excess-skin-because-of-weight-loss.jpeg

WANT
http://www.ladyspeak.com/wp-content/themes/Zenko%20Magazine%20v1.2/scripts/timthumb.php?w=130&h=90&zc=1&src=http://www.ladyspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/How-to-Tighten-Loose-Skin.jpg

Again, I will be having plastics. I do have a lower abdomen fat roll that does hang to some extent, and I've had it documented that the skin does get irritated, and at the very least, I will have the skin removed. I had a severe c-section 13 years ago, 84 external staples to close up the incision, and the scar extends from one side of my pubic area to the other. It's huge, and I will be having another c-section with this baby so there is no way that my stomach will ever be "normal" without surgery. As for the boob job, I just want boobs again. I had really nice boobs, but the only reason they were nice is because I was fat. So, I'd like to have them back to some extent.

I am a huge advocate of plastics post-op be it out of need or want. If I can have a lower body lift, breast implants and some face work done, I'll get it done. Of course, all of this depends on the what if's in about a year are present. I have to make sure it doesn't interfere with my family, our finances, and/or our way of life. If my husband were to deploy, I couldn't do it, if I find having an infant again overwhelming, and that it would take away from my duties as a mother, I would wait.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

lookin4-80
on 8/3/11 4:25 pm
OMG wearing a bra was painful and too constricting!

I exercise like crazy and my skin has bounced back really well. I am 53 also.

Forget the stupid girdles, You need to be able to strengthen your core and have your body absorb the skin, having something hold you in could only be worse by making your muscles lazy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views