stomach aches 7 days out

ThinByThirty
on 8/3/11 2:31 am - NY
hi

i had surgery 1 week ago and for several days i have been trying to get my protein in by a variety of means.  i cannot palate the protein shots, so i started drinking the eas shakes a little early, my doctor's guidelines are very cloudy so i have been trying to follow the dr. alvarez book on the sleeve

anyway, i wake up feeling pretty good and as i sip the protein i feel worse and worse and i have diarrhea. so i thought i was lactose intolerant and this morning i started only with sipping some lactaid milk, half way throught he glass i started to have the same terrible feeling in my stomach and diarrhea (but that milk has no lactose)

what do i do?  should i call the doctor?  i feell ike i shouldn't feel like crap when i drink

cristina

Lori B.
on 8/3/11 2:42 am

A week out I would worry more abou****er than protein. Your new tummy may not be able to handle it yet.

Hope you feel better soon.

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
ThinByThirty
on 8/3/11 2:48 am - NY
ok great thanks, i am getting plenty of water, when should i start to worry about protein?

Lori B.
on 8/3/11 2:59 am
I should have also said that if you are not sure, about anything, def call your doctor. That's what he's there for.

I would just periodically try to sip your protein here and there and you'll probably start to tolerate it better. Give it a day or two, then try again.

Other than the squirts, are you recovering ok?

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
Faye56
on 8/3/11 4:15 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
I started out on the EAS light protein shakes and I am lactose intolerant and they never bothered me. My diatian assured me that they were lactose free. It did not happen to me and I am still on liquids but I hear many people say the first couple of weeks "liquid in - liquid out", So that might be for you that it is just going straight though. I would call the Dr. if I were you. It dosen't hurt to ask questions. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

jfab1978
on 8/3/11 5:45 am, edited 8/3/11 5:50 am - CA
Maybe you should stick to clear liquids?  ISOPURE from GNC has a good grape flavor (0 carbs), 40 grams of protein.  I wasn't allowed to have "milky"/"full" liquids for 3 weeks.  But like others said, you should really focus on water.  Don't forget to walk, this helps in the healing.

Congratulations on the surgery and welcome to the losers bench!

Frantom
on 8/3/11 5:51 am
I also think you're worring about getting protein in too soon.
That being said - I found that cold water - or just about any liquid cold would hurt going down, and/or once it was down.  I had to drink my water at room temp and my soups just warm.  Anything else hot or cold would hurt.
I've had chronic diarrhea for 8 weeks now, I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to try to fix it with drugs.
I would suggest you eat cottage cheese or yogurt if the protein shakes make you sick (personally, I STILL have problems getting anything but Special K chocolate down myself - I like that one).
I thought the first month was the hardest, so take it easy, it will get better.
Lisa J.
on 8/3/11 7:13 am - OK

At one week out I also had diarrhea, nothing explosive but surprising, to say the least.

Also at one week out, I could barely tolerate ANYTHING besides water and popsiclles, with a few sips of strained chicken noodle soup.

I used to think I would absolutely die if I couldn't drink milk every day, but now it's wayyyy at the bottom of my list....I can't really believe that simply by having a smaller stomach one becomes intolerant, but it sure seems to happen to a lot of us. So I'm thinking it's more of a size of stomach vs. milk thing. I'm no scientist obviously but there is some definite link there.

As much as milk used to tide us over between meals, just avoid it for now, especially so close to surgery. Do not worry about trying to get in protein AND water, just drink water as much as you can. You'll be 100% fine. If you worry about the protein and no water, you'll end up in the ER on IV fluids.

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
ThinByThirty
on 8/3/11 8:12 am - NY
ok thanks.  what about calories?  should i not worry about anything to sustain me because all i drink is water, broth, and sugar free jello

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views