5 Days out and HATE my protein drinks!

MomTo3Monsters
on 8/7/11 8:40 am - Frederick, MD
VSG on 08/02/11 with
They make me want to barf. It's like they're just too thick, and I cant stand them! I dread having to drink them. I dont even want any of the sugar free pudding I was so excited to have! I've been drinking alot of water, and broth. I can handle those just fine.
Other than that, I'm feeling Ok, except for this one spot in between 2 of my incisions that hurts like a ***** Dr said there is a suture in the muscle there. My mom and friends said the kind of burning pain I have there, is how they felt after their c section...I have never been so thankful in my life for having 3 vaginal births!
But, all in all, I'm happy. I had a smooth easy surgery, great hospital stay, and met a new friend during my hospital stay!
kanga003
on 8/7/11 8:48 am
I don't know if it will help, but I couldn't stand the ones made with milk... or even premade, early out... I still would much rather have one mixed with water... I use MAX protien, I can put one scoop in 4-10 oz dependingon what consistancy I want and get 20 grams... it isn't half bad :-)

Good Luck!!!
CoolBeans
on 8/7/11 8:50 am - MD
 I had my surgery on Thursday and just started my protien drinks. I am not yet making them with milk. I pulled out the ones I could make with water (as I feel like I could not handle the thickness of the milk yet). I bought a chicken soup flavored one from Unjury, and have had it a couple of times now. I think this one is going to help get me through the first couple of weeks. It really does taste like chicken soup broth. 

I am eager to hear what protien drinks others like. 
 Cari    
Tiffany B.
on 8/7/11 8:55 am - Scottsburg, IN
Can you tolerate milk? If so try Carnation instant breakfast packets. They make sugar free and with milk it is 13 grams of protein. I had my surgery on 8/1 and have been drinking these. I also bought unflavored protein powder and get at least one scoop a day in with it. It has 26 grams of protein. I just put a little of the unflavored powder in everything I have through out the day and do pretty good with that. I am getting around 85 grams of protein in a day. Hope this helps!
Elaine2
on 8/7/11 9:00 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey guys
I won't offer you the name of mine---too thick for you---like melted ice cream.

However, if you go to the Diet and Nutrition forum, there are literally 300+ premade protein shakes listed and about 485 protein powders. Many have comments from OH folks---taste, price, etc.

Got to find one you can tolerate until you can get the required # from food. I still drink a shake every AM.

Good luck.

DrHollywood
on 8/7/11 9:07 am, edited 8/7/11 9:07 am - Harbor City, CA
mic white egg yolk in your broth and make sure you stir stir  so its frothy.
you need your protein.

Do you like isopure?

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

MotivatedMomma
on 8/7/11 9:25 am
DS on 10/20/14
 I had the same problem, and I must have tried about 10 different kinds.  At my 2 week post op appt, my surgeon and I had a long talk and he told me that I must do *WHATEVER IT TAKES* to get protein in.  

He allowed me to modify shakes, and this is what I came up with:

1 c. Chobani Greek Yogurt (have used Dannon too, and it's cheaper)
1 c. UNSWEETENED almond milk 
3 or 4 frozen strawberries (big bag from walmart, no sugar added)
1 T splenda with added fiber (this is a personal choice, I don't like splenda in much, but it's great in this)
1/2 scoop vanilla or unflavored protein powder

Blend.  If it's too thick, try adding slightly less yogurt or more almond milk.  Just remember the yogurt has a lot of protein, so try to keep it at 1 cup.

My surgeon also recommened I use a cup with a lid and a straw.  Don't know why I didn't think of it! Once I started mixing the shakes to the right consistency, the lid and straw really helped me to not 'smell' them.

The above recipe was a lifesaver for me.  I have also used 1/2 pack of the carnation NSA with 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup US almond milk and 1/2 serving of powdered non fat milk.  Not quite as much protein, and more carbs, but nice for a change.

Happy to report I am now able to tolerate many more kinds of protein.  I think your taste changes after surgery, then continues to grow and alter.  So my best advice is to keep trying!  If something doesn't work, don't throw it away, just try it again in a month or so.
theshrinkingmimi
on 8/7/11 10:57 am
I would get tired of a thick shake too. I don't have that problem with my drink because it is not a shake.

I use Unjury unflavored with crystal light. I can change the flavor by changing the crystal light. So far my favorites have been, fruit punch, strawberry, and pink lemonade. For some reason the fruit punch crystal light gets clumpy and takes more stirring effort and pressing spoon against glass, but it is my favorite flavored protein drink.

I put the protein powder and crystal light in glass then pour in ice cold water.  I stir then let sit for a few minutes, then stir again. The texture is close to water. It is not gritty, but there is a little foam (not much at all) on top.

I've never gotten tired of my protein drinks.  I suspect that the protein coffee drinkers are happy too. Daily thick drinks get old for most people, eventually.

Note: Unjury does not do well hot. So if you want an unflavored powder for hot and cold, then Unjury is not for you. However, I never liked coffee, and Unjury is safe for those who are lactose intolerant like me.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views