No Protein Shakes

stepmomster
on 8/9/11 2:43 am
Good Morning and Happy Tuesday!

I am still in the pre-op stage and hopefully will get a surgery date from my doctor this Thursday (crossing fingers and toes!)! Since I have Kaiser they give you a wonderful Bariatric 3-ring Binder filled will all the information that you will need. So far I have focused on learning about all the pre-op stages and information. 

Yesterday I decided to thoroughly read the post-op diet section. I was shocked when I read that two weeks after surgery you should stop all protein shakes. Since I have been reading and stalking this forum for a few months I found this to be quite interesting!

Has anyone else heard this from this doctor?? Have they been successful?
candyturbo
on 8/9/11 2:45 am
What?? I can't understand that at all. I don't have an answer, but I am adding my comment because I want to know too! All I have heard is "get in the protein" over and over and over.

Candy
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
Arianasmama
on 8/9/11 2:46 am - Beverly Hills, CA
 Congrats on the start of your journey.  I too have Kaiser and had my surgery two weeks ago and was told by my surgeon that I may have to supplement with a shake or two until I'm able to get all my protein in with food.  Shows every surgeon is different.  Good luck
Be Blessed            
candyturbo
on 8/9/11 2:50 am
I guess that makes sense, but I don't think I could ever get in enough protein with just my food. Looking at the insurance's advice that way makes more sense, though.
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
chunkymonkey1991
on 8/9/11 2:52 am
my plan is liquids weeks 1-2. liquids with one 3 oz mushy meal for weeks 3-4. then mushy foods for 3 meals a day for 1 month - 31/2 months. once you can eat mushy foods for all your meals my nutritionist said that you don't need protein shakes anymore. amen.
George B.
on 8/9/11 3:00 am - Miami, FL
My plan calls for a minimum 70 grams of protein daily. I could not have come close to this number without protein shakes, especially during the liquid and pureed stage.

I stopped daily protein shakes at 6 months post-op and resolved to get all my protein from food. 

You will eventually stop using protein shakes but 2 weeks post-op seem much too soon.

Good luck,
George

felicity2u
on 8/9/11 3:12 am - LA
My doctor advise movement to a non protein diet but when I met with him I told him I could still eat so little that I could not possible get all my protein in from food alone.  At five months out, I still do two protein shakes a day, one for breakfast and one after I workout and as you can see from the results, it hasn't hurt me! My doctore says, if it ain't broke don't fix it, lol!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

MenagerieNik
on 8/9/11 4:38 am
 I was told not to cut bac****il week 7 or 8, however I stopped drinking them about 10 days ago. I had the most awful heartburn and they made it worse. I've got the heartburn under control (thank heavens!) but I haven't gone back to the protein drinks. I really think you need them for the first 6 weeks. Your sleeve just can't handle much else before that. 

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
Foxbins
on 8/9/11 9:44 am

Yes, they told me that too; they also called fat-free milk "a high-calorie fluid."  They encourage their patients not to drink their calories.  However, I still have the occasional shake if my protein goal for the day isn't met.  I also chew gum and use straws and haven't died yet and I'm six months out and 17 lbs from goal. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views