A couple of questions and need some support!!

CCinIndiana
on 8/9/11 6:17 am - IN
Hi Everyone,

I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I am having trouble eating.  I have been on mushies the last 9 days and am having difficulty with everything except creamy soup.  I have tried scrambled eggs 2x and tuna 1x.  Each time  I measured and had 2 ounces, but felt like I was going to explode.  Any pointers on how long it should take me to eat 2 ounces?  Also I cannot gag down my nexxium mups, does anyone know if I can swallow them whole, they are sublingual.  Also one last question is can I cut my vitamins into quarters?  They are to big to even swallow whole.  Thanks, Cathi
SassyItalian
on 8/9/11 6:22 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

Everyone is different but try to  measure smaller amounts, say 1 tablespoon, start there and increase as necessary.

I for one sure as heck could not eat 2oz a month out. No way, no how!!! Maybe like 2-3 months out if that. If you feel too full you are DEFINTELY eating too much for your own individual sleeve. 2oz is a guidelne but you dont want to over eat and then need to vomit.

Plus, some people feel icky after scrambled eggs, some people say they are heavy in their stomach for a few months post op.

Talk to your surgeon if you think there is a problem.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

blakereimert
on 8/9/11 6:25 am - TX

I agree with above. Also there are many options for vitamins. GNC has a powdered version that can be added to your protein drink. There are chewable and gummy multi-vits. I wouldnt recommend cutting the ones you have but trying something else until you can tolerate the larger tablet. At four weeks out it may not be good for your sleeve to try and digest large tablets.

Good luck

kanga003
on 8/9/11 6:33 am
I'm a week or so behinf you can just sometime**** 2oz... I measure it out, but don't always eat it all.

I've been on food for a week now though... I've had pretty good luck as long as I don't eat too much!  It is totally a process though!
ldscott
on 8/9/11 7:10 am - TX

always call ur dr. or Nutritionist for any serious quesitons. but i'm 4 weeks out as of Monday and i have gummy and chewable vitamins. scrambled eggs are a little dry to go down so i don't do them often same for tuna. beans and peas work really well for me. i cant do much more than 2 oz. if that sometimes either. i just take my time eating. bite, chew, chew, chew....... and more chews swallow bit by little bit and wait before taking another bite. sometimes different people have longer healing time with the swelling of the sleeve. that was my issue. but week by wee i can really tell the difference.

emelar
on 8/9/11 7:18 am - TX
Just because the doc cleared you to progress to the next level doesn't mean that your stomach is on the same page!  Stick to full liquids and try tiny amounts of mushies - a tablespoon or two - until your stomach tells you it's okay to do a little more.  Everyone heals at different rates, and chances are you're still pretty swollen.  Be kind to little sleevie - it's been through a lot!
CCinIndiana
on 8/9/11 10:29 am - IN
thanks everyone for the feedback, i thought 2 ounces was what i should be at. Guess i need to re read post op instructions!
disabled_nurse
on 8/10/11 7:55 am - Bogalusa, LA
I could not eat any eggs, until about 3 to 4 months out....................solid food sat in my stomach like a brick at first. Take your time, eat very slowly, I could only eat a few tablespoons of solid food at first, just made up for your protein in shakes until you can tolerate more solid food. Your little tummy is still swollen, and we all heal differently!!! Eat until you feel full, I would not measure and try to eat the full 2 ounces, your going to stress yourself out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views