Sleeved Tuesday, Home Today

bluehen
on 8/13/11 9:53 am - New York, NY
Hi everyone!
I've been reading everyone's posts and they are all very informative and inspiring!
I have been SLOWLY sipping water and broth but not have made it to protein shakes yet.  I guess I'm afraid to drink it, since it's thicker than clear fluids.  Haha.  I know I need to get my protein in as soon as possible.
I've also not have had to take any of the medication they prescribed me (w/ the exception of some anti-spasm medicine for my stomach- afraid to not take that).
I guess my question is, when did you stop fearing the sleeve and start getting in liquids like protein shakes? 
bluehen
on 8/13/11 9:54 am - New York, NY
Ps.  And it is SO STRANGE to me that I don't feel hungry!!!  WHAT?!?!
Spiritus
on 8/13/11 12:52 pm - Hawthorne, CA

Congratulations BlueHen!!  I wish I would've stayed one more day but I was sent home.  I know about the fear of taking meds right now, because I am dealing with that too.  I take my Pepcid crushed in 2 ounces of water twice a day. I have liquid lortab for pain but the other stuff is still in it's bag.

Good Luck on your journey!

VickyBT
on 8/13/11 9:55 am - MI
Not sleeved yet but can't you just take teeny tiny sips of a protein shake?
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

bluehen
on 8/13/11 9:56 am - New York, NY
I guess I  can. :D
Just wondering if I'm the only uber paranoid person out there!  Hahaha!
Asecondchanceatlife
on 8/13/11 10:00 am, edited 8/12/11 10:00 pm
Welcome home and congratulations on your sleeve! It was suggested I drink liquid protein the first week. But, i spoke to my Nut and she suggested I really didnt have to have protein drink the first week but it was very important to make sure I get my protein drink the second week. Your program may be different from mine. I was not afraid to drink; I didnt have a problem with that at all. But I will tell you my 11month old grandchild eat more than I do. My intake is very little. Best wishes!
bluehen
on 8/13/11 10:06 am - New York, NY
Thank you!
It's funny, my nutritionist has be on 3 weeks of liquid after the surgery, trying to get in at least 60 grams of protein a day.  My surgeon said I only have to be on liquids for 2 weeks and can start incorporating protein shakes the 2nd week.  So.  Who do I listen to?  The surgeon or the nutritionist?  :| 
I'm still in shock...that I have been sleeved!!!  I was told she used a 34 french bougie....and that when removing my stomach I guess there was some bleeding which caused me to be in the hospital for a few extra days b/c they wanted me to put me on a couple antibiotics.  Oh!  And had low grade fever and high blood pressure.  In any case.  W/ the exception of feeling nausea the first day...my recovery...in my opinon has been pretty easy.  Just get nervous of drinking b/c of that "stuck" feeling.  You know the feeling when you drink too much soda or water too fast and it gets caught in your chest?  Feels kinda like that.  I was told it was swelling and that will ease as the days go on.  4 days out...and I'm still having that feeling.  :( Maybe I'll never be able to drink water like a normal person again?!?! :o  Ha. I hope not!

How are you liking your sleeve?
Asecondchanceatlife
on 8/13/11 10:18 am

LOL. Wow, a 34F you say. I believe mine used a 40F. I am so loving the sleeve. Im just not used to the small amount of food intake. My eyes are bigger than my new tummy. And yes, I do know that stuck feeling. Matter of fact I think just about all sleevers know that feeling. Take care.

CJCC55
on 8/13/11 10:03 am - Cleveland, TN
Congratulations!! Glad you're home now.
Yes, it is hard to do more than stay hydrated for the first week or so, but it's no wonder with all the swelling. You just have to allow some healing time, and you have to allow yourself time to get accustomed to everything. My doctor said not to worry about the protein for the first week or so, just hydration.
It all works out, just hang in there.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

bluehen
on 8/13/11 10:08 am - New York, NY
Thanks Carol!
Guess I'll trust my physician. Your physician. And Asecondchanceatlife's physician!
Ignore the nutritionist on taking protein immediately!
:)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views