Just starting out

TheBiscuit
on 8/19/11 12:06 pm - TX
Hello everyone!! I'm really quite shy in person so I don't always leap at the opportunity to talk to the support groups my hospital arranges, so I figured I would start here.

I'm 25 years old, have fought being overweight all of my life. I've decided the sleeve is for me, and I am so thankful my family is supportive and can help foot the bill for this incredibly expensive procedure! I'm understandably nervous, but moreso excited. 

At the end of last month I met the surgeon to discuss options. I had a UGI completed, which is perfect btw! Yesterday I met with my first class to discuss what's coming up. I was a big disheartened because each meeting is a month apart, and I'm chomping at the bit to get this moving. School starts in two weeks, and my goal is to have the majority of my weight lost by Spring Break! So I'm not dragging my heels. The last week I have been exercising daily, at least 45 minutes of combined weights and cardio. I've stopped eating heavy carbs like bread, pasta, rice, etc. Basically, I'm preparing myself well in advance of the pre-op liquid diet to become accustom to it. My next appointment is my assessment with the nutritionist. Apparently, I have to wait another month after that to do the pre-op diet class... ridiculous! I'm pretty upset, because apparently they follow a "one size fits all" model. I do not have emotional attachments to food, nor do I eat out of boredom or emotion. I'm a classic case of eating the wrong crap and not burning it off. So, now I'm eating right and burning it off. I've started my multi vitamins twice daily, as well as my calcium supplements. My typical day consists of a liquid protein supplement for breakfast, maybe a handful of berries. Lunch is an egg and half of a tortilla (the ones we have at home are HUGE, ugh). Dinner I eat a solid meal. 4 ounces or less of chicken breast, and a veggie like spinach. I hate veggies... is there a better way I can get those in? Bleh! 

Anyway, I'm hoping the weight I lose in the time between now and my next assessment convinces my nutritionist I'm ahead of the pack and have the discipline to go on the full liquid pre-op diet a few weeks before the "plan". Cross your fingers! I really have so many hopes riding on this-- I want my Spring Break to the west coast to be the best one I've ever had.

If anyone has any tips for the next month and a half of my journey before surgery, I would very much appreciate it! I'm looking for a good liquid protein supplement suggestion too.. the fruity stuff is SO GROSS.

suthernqueen
on 8/19/11 1:41 pm
I did Isopure. will not say it tasted that great but put about 2 sugar free popsicle in my camelback with the isopure and it was easier to get down.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views