WLS Psych Test-- What is it?

TheBiscuit
on 8/24/11 9:42 am - TX
 I have my WLS psych evaluation tomorrow and I really have no idea what to expect. I've been to therapists before for my anxiety, but never anything weight related so I'm puzzled as to what they could possibly grill me on for the hour and a half they have me booked.
iLoveMe
on 8/24/11 9:48 am - MO

Bascially, they try and scare you..the guy asked me how would I feel if I couldn't eat the same amount of food ever again in life..he asked if i was depressed..why did i want to lose weight..and a bunch of other questions..he also told me that he had a friend die from wls and wanted to know if i was prepared to deal with the possibilty of dying..then he asked me basic math questions, he also asked me to name 3 past presidents, he asked me today's date..etc, etc,  you will do fine.

Soosy
on 8/24/11 9:53 am - TX
It's really no big deal...
They just talk to you about you... Your history, current stats, and there's usually a questionnaire too. They want to make sure you are of sound mind and fully understand the magnitude of WLS and how it will or might impact the various areas of your life!
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

Grumpy_old_man
on 8/24/11 10:26 am
I have been seeing a shrink for three years. We both agreed i'm crazy so it was a five minute visit and she wrote the letter. All depends on the quack.
MzJ0nes
on 8/24/11 11:24 am - NY
VSG on 09/04/12
I was so nervous when I went to do mine. I swear after all the stressing the days before and the worries I was pissed it was only 10 minutes!! Basically asked if I understand it was irreversable, what changes am I making pre-op, why am I doing the surgery and have I ever been suicidal or depressed.... O_O I didn't even realize that he was writing the letter as we were talking. All I got was a "ok all done. Do you want a copy?" lol smh. Just relax and you'll do fine. Good luck!!
TheBiscuit
on 8/24/11 11:43 am - TX
 Haha, sounds good everyone! Thanks much. Hope she doesn't keep me but the 10 or 15 minutes you guys had to stay. :)
Jan G.
on 8/24/11 12:19 pm - WI
Well if its done well and thorough then you will be interviewed and complete a Personality inventory test. It will reveal mood disorders, psychosis or thought disorders which would mean you are not able to make clear mental decisions and have no idea how WLS would affect your life.

Some folks are denied at first due to this eval cuz they believe you have too many stressors, a mental disorder that would prevent you from coping well.

I had the eval plus the required 6 months of therapy as required by my insurance. I have no mood disorders, psychosis and have good coping skills.

Good luck, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 2:30 pm - WV
I was just asked questions about my diet history, my relationship with my family and if I will have a good support system.  Then I took a 150 question test about how I feel about my life.  It was fairly simple and didnt last but about an hour. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views