Exercise amounts by month

TheBiscuit
on 8/27/11 2:21 am - TX
 Future sleever here! Got another month or so until I get mine. I've been exercising daily to get myself in the mindset of my new lifestyle. I read a lot of posts about people unhappy with their loss rate and very few mention how much they exercise. I assume they're doing some, but being someone *****ally wants to maximize their tool the first year, how much did YOU guys and gals work out? 

As of right now I'm going 30mins to an hour a day of cardio. 7 days a week. I know this is unrealistic during the healing stage, but I'll want to get back into it the moment my body allows. So, what was a realistic approach to working out for you at 1 month, 3 months, 5, etc?
tristak
on 8/27/11 3:46 am
I resumed regular exercise at 4 weeks post-op.   I started with light cardio only - stationery bike, elliptical, treadmill on a flatt setting.  At 6 weeks post-op I resumed strength training at the absolute lowest settings and went very slow (avoiding most core exercises).  At almost 11 months post-op I now exercise 6-7 days a week - my routine is Mon/Tue/Fri 30min cardio, 30 min circuit training and a 30min walk, Wed/Thur 90min walk in the hills of my neighborhood (total distance about 4.5miles), and Sat/Sun I do 45min elliptical and 45min of treadmill with varied incline and decline.  I am taking full advantage of the summer weather and it being light late.  Once Winter arrives my schedule will be adjusted accordingly.  I find this much exercise does a few things for me: 1.  the obvious burning of calories, 2. keeps me from nibbling, and 3 allows me to burn off any frustrations I have had during the day. 

Best of luck!

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

TheBiscuit
on 8/27/11 5:17 am - TX
 I've found that exercising when the hunger sets in really helps me, too. I know I don't want to go anywhere near food when I'm all hot and sweaty after a workout. 

Thanks for your input! I envy your energy level. I assume it gets easier the more weight you lose. At 270lbs an hour a day is pushing my limit. I'm hoping it gets easier, anwyay lol.
laurak712
on 8/27/11 5:31 am - New Braunfels, TX
Hi Biscuit!  I have been an avid exerciser for about 20 years and 13 years ago decided to get a personal trainer for weight lifting and still have one today.  So I went into surgery in good physical condition, but 106lbs heavier.  I was able to resume activities at about 2 weeks post op and was back to full strength by 6 weeks out.  My schedule during my losing phase was 3 days a week of weight training for an hour and 5 days of cardio for a hour.  Now in maintenance I still lift weights 3 times a week for an hour but do much less cardio...maybe 3 times a week for 20 to 30 minutes.  What I would suggest for you is to increase your intensity as you lose weight.  Right now just moving is a great start!  The intensity will come with time...you'll see!

Laura

Height 5' 7

roundater
on 8/27/11 10:53 am - Lincoln, NE
I did 20 minutes of walking the first two weeks then stretched it to 40 then 1 hour. Joined a gym 5 weeks out and now do 40 min to one hour cardio + weights every other day.  Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

wls2011
on 8/28/11 3:55 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Pre-op I was doing 2 hours of cardio (walking) daily (one morning, one evening) and working out with trainer 2x week. 

Post-op I resumed walking immediately, although it was not very long sessions at all, just held the pillow to my belly and walking the hospital and then home started little walks building up each day.

By about 3 weeks post-op I resumed my workouts at the gym, treadmill mainly...By 6 weeks post-op I was back to weight training and core, etc...I was anxious to get back to normal, but it does take a bit of time...

At 3 months now, I'm doing 2-3x week weightlifting/core/cardio w/ trainer...and I try to do cardio days also 3x a week. I'm having really good strength gains now, and feel very energized and stronger than ever. Plus my endurance has gone through the roof.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op