can i drink diet soda now

ckitchens
on 9/1/11 12:47 pm - Houston, TX
its been over 3 months post surgery and i was wondering if i can drink fresh diet coke r does it still have to be flat?

emelar
on 9/1/11 12:52 pm - TX
According to my dietitian, no carbonated drinks, not fizzy, not flat, not ever.  Truly, they're pure garbage.  Why not just get rid of them? 
ckitchens
on 9/1/11 12:55 pm - Houston, TX
i know i know ...... and i have stayed away. my doc said i could have flat diet soad awhile ago and i still have not gave in but sometimes i just want something different other than water and powerade light.... just reaching

Lizzy25
on 9/1/11 1:13 pm
My issue with any carbonated drink is that it hurts my stomach. The bubbles expand in my stomach and then I have a series of painful little burps to get all the air out. If it's been 3 months your stomach is probably healed enough to handle it (fizzy drinks are extremely acidic) but whether it's a good idea is another issue. What about doing a sip of a half-carbonated drink to test your tolerance? mix half flat soda with half fizzy soda, and see how it treats you. Diet soda isn't the healthiest thing in the world but doctors also let you have cr@p like sugar-free jello which has the same artificial sweeteners and chemicals, so if you feel like this is something that will be a treat and make you feel satisfied, then indulge a little. The deprivation gets depressing, I know. Just don't treat it as a substitute for water, because the caffeine in it will dehydrate you.
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
ckitchens
on 9/1/11 1:23 pm - Houston, TX
o i agree.... it would not be a steady thing its just that i feel like i have gotten into a habit of the same ol things and i just feel like having something different. i am a creature of habit and i eat and drink the same thing everyday i tend to stick to what i know.

Lizzy25
on 9/1/11 1:36 pm
yeah, if you don't allow yourself little treats, you're gonna get more and more resentful, then one night you'll blow your top and drink 3 milkshakes for dinner or some other insanity. I've done it. I try to go 100% on a diet and then end up going down in a horrific blaze of fast-food glory. My rule of thumb is 90%. If I'm strict 9 times out of 10, that other 1 time won't hurt me so bad, and will keep me from hating life. Your mental wellbeing will dictate your success, so treat yourself well, and decide beforehand what your treat will be, rather than letting it just happen on its own. That way you retain control. And really, diet soda is not. that. bad. There are people on here who confess to eating whole cheesedogs the month after surgery. You're doing great.
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
LabMomma
on 9/1/11 3:14 pm
VSG on 09/27/10 with
On September 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, ckitchens wrote:
o i agree.... it would not be a steady thing its just that i feel like i have gotten into a habit of the same ol things and i just feel like having something different. i am a creature of habit and i eat and drink the same thing everyday i tend to stick to what i know.
Are you really sure that you want to restart this very, very bad habit?? Since you already know that you are a creature of habit, the first diet soda will just lead to the next one.

It is doing things out of habit that got you into trouble to begin with...   I'm just sayin'.

koshermama
on 9/1/11 1:32 pm
Can you ask your doctor?

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
Georgia C.
on 9/1/11 2:46 pm
 I was told no carbonated drinks at all ever! I did try one at about 4 months it tasted nasty ended up throwing it out.  Have you tried crystal light?  Some of the flavors I like are strawberry, raspberry peach and peach mango my desk at work is stalked with the packets.  At Wal Mart they sell for $2.00 a box.  

My surgeon said there is a reason the soft drink companies own the chip companies, chip companies own fast food they want you to eat.  There is something in soda diet in particular they causes you to crave junk food stay away from it if you can.  Live your life instead of trying to stay alive.

bigbyte
on 9/1/11 4:39 pm - Sacramento, CA
I was told no carbonated drinks ever.  Personally, I would not want to try one for fear that I might not have much of a problem and would then just want more.  I don't want to go back to that habit.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views