Regaining strength after surgery

VickyBT
on 9/2/11 1:00 am - MI
I know everybody is different but how long did it take you to regain your strength and not feed so tired all the time?
I've read so many people saying things like:
"oh ya I was out shopping 4 days after my surgery"
I'm 3 days out and still feel weak and tired which I expect
is normal but was wondering what your experience was, especially folks over 50.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

boomercd
on 9/2/11 1:22 am - OH
Vicky, congrats on your surgery, Im 11 days out and Im 50 I think I didnt bounce back as fast as some of the younger people, but I kept plugging along, got to get your fluid and protein in and make yourself walk walk walk. I got tired of hearing that too. but it really is the key to building up you strength. hang in there one day you'll wake up and suddenly feel better, like the sky opened.(really) good luck to you I look forward to watching your progress.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

carabarnes
on 9/2/11 1:24 am
I know how you feel. I was weak and tired for about a month.Then I finally felt like myself again. 

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

Tonja B.
on 9/2/11 1:59 am - TX
I am 4 weeks out, 38 years old, and still have not regained all my energy.  I am a teacher and had to go back to work 13 days out so that may have some to do with it.  I have a fellow teacher who had surgery with me on the same day and she is about a week ahead of me in recovery.
CoolBeans
on 9/2/11 6:12 am, edited 9/1/11 6:12 pm - MD
I could have written the first part of this. I am also 38, a teacher and 4 weeks out. This was the first week the students were back in my classes and it plain wore me out. The meetings last week were also tiring, but this was really draining. I am ready for an afternoon nap. But first I need to get some more protein in.

I think it is pretty normal to be tired for the first month. We are eating so differently, our bodies are adjusting, and of course we still have the affects of the anesthesia in our systems.

I am hopeful that my energy level will start increasing soon.
 Cari    
Kristy R.
on 9/2/11 2:11 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I am 5 months out and I am not super energetic.  I think it has to do with struggling with keeping my CPAP mask on however.  I feel as I did before surgery, and sometimes even more tired since I don't intake as many calories.  All my labs have been just fine.  Dr is trying me on an anti-depressant, she thinks it could be stress as well.  I always meet my protein goals and I have tried to add some snacks in, but that is very hard for me.  I actually felt better in the weeks after surgery than I do now, sigh.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Happy966
on 9/2/11 3:30 am

Hi Vicky,

I had surgery on Monday and I'm 51.  I am not ready to go shopping, but I did walk to the grocery, about a 0.7 mile round-trip.  Unfortunately, it was very hot out and I probably won't be doing that again at noon!  I just needed to walk, and I do better with a destination.  I feel tired, and I feel a lot of soreness on my long incision.  Inside, I feel great.  I can drink and tolerate all the protein drinks I've tired so far.  I probably wouldn't want to go out and shop because of the incision pain - it hurts when I jiggle too much, so I'm walking kind of slowly.

I always felt pretty high energy before surgery, but pain of any kind is a big energy drain for me.  I am taking Tylenol right now and it helps a lot, but I think my energy will be low until I don't hurt doing normal activities.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Lizzy25
on 9/2/11 4:16 am
Your energy will be low until you are able to get enough calories in your body. Right now you're probably only getting in maybe 400-500 calories a day because you're only on liquids. I was sleeping constantly until I was able to eat mushy foods and get more calories in. Your body is trying to conserve energy because it knows it is starving. I think it was 2 months before I was able to go a full day without taking a long nap. But it does get better. Just get all of your nutrients in.
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
VickyBT
on 9/2/11 9:17 am - MI
Many thanks much for all your comments.
Feeling a little less sleepy today.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active