Post -op Blues

VickyBT
on 9/7/11 10:03 am, edited 9/7/11 10:07 am - MI

9 Days out....
Everyday is a struggle to get the doctor prescribed amount of water & protein in.
I'm almost gagging with the protein drinks now. HATE THEM and their after taste!
They never bothered me pre-op but consuming the same thing daily would make
anybody get sick of it.
I made some homemade chicken soup yesterday, skimmed the fat off after cooling,
ran it thru a blender then strained it just to get some wholesome food.
So limited in what they allow us to eat...protein shakes & bariatric protein soup, zero sugar drinks. 
YUK!
How do they expect you to heal and do well eating this crap?

Feeling depressed (which I'm not prone to),
even a little scared thinking what I've done to my body.
I felt at peace about getting WLS, a one year process,
but now I feel like "what have I done to my body?!!"
Not so much that I can't eat large amounts but that I've had more than 3/4 of my stomach
surgically removed!
It's weird and I'm not sure why I'm feeling this way but I know this is my only hope to lose weight.
Just wish I was a stronger person and could of lost the weight on my own.
I'm losing 2 lbs a day! CRAZY!!!

Anybody else experiencing post-op blues?

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 10:11 am
Oh gosh I did the first couple of weeks. I felt the same way about how in the hell are we supposed to live on what we can eat? I was weak and everything hurt to swallow it. I was so depressed at one point I just curled up on the bed and cried. But the next day was better. And the next and the next. 

You are not alone and you are not crazy. This too shall pass and you will feel better!
Ms. Poker Face
on 9/7/11 10:17 am
Honey, you are doing fine!  I think it's normal to think and feel what you are experiencing.  The first few weeks are HARD.  I really questioned what I did to myself.  But, each day gets better and better.  Focus on fluids first since dehydration is your biggest enemy right now.  And then get whatever protein in you can.   I remember being so sick of the sweet protein drinks.  I probably got 30-40g of protein per day at 9 days if I was lucky.  Once I got to pureed foods, I did both shakes and foods to get up to 60g protein.  That's when things really started to get better.  Not great, but better.

Keep your eye on the prize!  Fill your hours with stuff you like, whether that's certain tv shows, books, a short walk, painting your nails, whatever it is.  This too shall pass.  You will feel peace with your decision again, I think.  

*hugs*

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

newalpha
on 9/7/11 10:17 am
Think about the CRAP you use to eat and where it got you. This is a new lease on life and will definitely require some changes to avoid going back from where you came. What a magnificent tool to have a new lease on a full life.
hollykim
on 9/7/11 10:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Haaang in there,this will pass. Hormones are stored in fat and when we start breaking down our stored fat,those hormones are released into the blood stream. That is what might be making you feel depressed.

The post op diet is very limited and bland for a reason. Your sleeve is healing nd doesnn't need a lot of different,difficult stuff to process in there. liquids allow it to heal without having to work.

The homemade soup is good for you to have and makes you feel like you are eating something "wholesome".

Trust me,all of us who have had bariatric surgery have MORE than enough for our bodies to live off of for a few weeks of liquids :)
GL

VickyBT
on 9/7/11 10:53 am - MI
Thank you all for your words of encouragment.
Its just what I needed.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

HaleyB
on 9/7/11 11:51 am
 I could have written this post myself!! Yes, I am losing weight BUT I am absolutely miserable. I know this will pass, just know you aren't the only one feeling this way

SassyItalian
on 9/7/11 11:57 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
hormones, sadness, depression, mourning our old lives post op..all very normal

in a few weeks this will all be behind you and you will feel more normal, promise

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

boomercd
on 9/7/11 12:07 pm - OH
yes been there done that and not to long ago either, but it does get better every day! I even ask my DH why he let me do this to myself. Im sure it made him feel good. but Im over alot of it I think its normal. all a part of the process, hang in there.....hugs

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views