Help with Protein!

Melissa P.
on 9/13/11 6:04 pm - East Bay, CA
I am 7 days pot-op and have had a VERY hard time consuming my requirements of fluids, vitamins and protein.  The biggest issue is consuming enough protein when I cant tolerate all those protein supplements (never been a fan of nausea)!  I have tried every protein shake, concenrated liquid protein, Unjury unflavored protein etc to try to meet my goals, but the most Ive been able to consume in a day is 35grams.  Right now Im living on greek yogurt, cream of wheat and pudding made with enriched milk.  I need help! 

Anyone have any suggestions for other types of protein while still on liquids, maybe something savory instead of sweet?? 
HW 312  SW 294  CW 282  GW 175
Happy966
on 9/13/11 11:36 pm

Congratulations on your surgery!  You are not very far out, so it should get easier to meet your goals.  35 g/d isn't a bad start.  We will have more options for savory foods as our diets advance, BUT, you cannot let up.  This is the part of the work we HAVE TO DO for ourselves.

First, you have to have to drink your fluids.  You will dehydrate if you don't and that is NO FUN.  Try plain water, water with a pinch of baking soda, flavored water, jello, popsicles, decaf tea, decaf coffee, almond milk, broth.  I set goals and incentives, like telling myself I cannot have a cup of decaf coffee until I drink X amount of water.   

Next, work on that protein!  I know you have tried Unjury unflavored.  How?  I put it in soup.  Have you tried it in your cream of wheat?  What about Unjury chicken soup flavor?  I know some folks don't like it, but you can order individual packages on their web site and see what you think.  I think it's yummy and has 20 g per serving.  Most people who don't like powders like the premixed shakes better.  Premier has a 30g shake (11 oz) that they sell at Sam's and Costco.  It's do-able.

I have fallen in love with Metabolic Nutrition ProtiZyme Peanut Butter Cookie flavor.  I am not a big fan of chocolate or vanilla and it's really yummy.  I also like some of the Syntrax Nectar flavors, they are are clear and fruity-flavored, but some flavors are not so hot (IMHO).  You can buy a 13-pack sampler with all their flavors and see if there are any you can handle.  I was suspicious of the Caribbean Cooler flavor, but it was actually great.  Many folks like the Fuzzy Navel (orange) and Twisted Cherry is good too.  They're sweet, but I think they're nice in the morning.  They're 23 g per serving. 

Good luck and keep posting about your progress!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

VickyBT
on 9/14/11 2:57 am - MI
I'm in the same boat.
Prior to surgery I had NO issues with protein shakes.
In fact I've used them on and off for years plus I'm not a picky
eater.  I like almost anything BUT when you drink the same stuff
OVER & OVER you do get sick of it.
I've tried other shakes, many flavors but same problem.
I'm now literally getting  nauseated when I drink them.
I even try to mask the protein flavor by adding fruit, milk
and cottage cheese (or yogurt) to my shake and it does help
a little but that last few swallows...
I guess I need to try the unflavored but i hear thats not that great either,
Frustrating.
Wish they had protein pills.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Pat H.
on 9/14/11 3:08 am
This may sound weird but don't smell your food right now. I think almost all the protein powders and shakes have a slightly to really funky smell. Some people have mentioned using a covered cup or mug to sip from. Might help.

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Most Active