Liquid protein supplement- week 1 questions

Eleanor_M
on 9/17/11 2:36 am - Overland Park, KS
Hi,  I am on post-op day 3, and my diet instructions say to resume the liquid protein supplements.  What should I mix it with?  Water?  I used to drink them with skim milk but that's not a clear liquid.  Mix it with chicken broth?  What do you suggest?

smkeller
on 9/17/11 2:47 am, edited 9/17/11 2:47 am
I mixed Unjury unflavored with chicken broth (a lot) and chicken flavored with water. It has been said that getting your liquid intake is more important in the first couple of weeks than getting in all your protein - plus a lot of protein makes one constipated. I also had some Sam's Club vanilla, can't remember what I mixed it with, but I was glad when it was all gone.
Eleanor_M
on 9/17/11 3:04 am - Overland Park, KS
Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried one of those Nectar brand fruit flavored protein drinks.  Boy was that disgusing.  So, now I am trying the unflavored Fusion protein powder in water with some crystal lite raspberry ice mixed in.  Not fantastic, but it is tollerable.  I'll try it in chicken broth tomorrow.

edelu
on 9/17/11 3:58 am - los angeles, CA
Skim milk is fine.  I've never heard of clear liquids being prescribed post surgery just a few days pre.  It's liquids and then full liquids which is anything you can suck through a straw.  Milk is fine for now in fact it's preferable because you get 8 grams of protein extra with it. 
smkeller
on 9/17/11 9:29 am
Dr. Aceves patients are required to do a week of clear liquids post surgery before moving on the liquids, mushies and solids.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views