Why can't I keep my carbs below 40??? :(

bluehen
on 9/18/11 10:57 pm - New York, NY
I'm 6 weeks out and I am happy w/ my weight loss...and I have been losing weight consuming more than 40g of carb.  BUT now I am noticing my weight loss is slowing down (which I already knew would happen)...and am concerned that I should keep my carb count to below 40 (even though my doctor and nutritionist said that this should not be a concern for me at this stage).
My question to you guys...what does an average under 40g of carbs day look like???

This is what my diet looks like on most days:

Breakfast:
  Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg), 1 large   78   1   5   6 
    Dymatize Elite Gourmet - Whey & Casein Blend Protein Powder - Vanilla Creme, 1 scoop   120   5   2   21 
    Perfect Low Carb Isopure - Dutch Chocolate - Protein Shake , 1 scoopfuls (65g)   110   2   1   25 
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup   86   12   0   8 

Lunch:
Is usually soup, cottage cheese or sashimi...

Dinner:
Another protein shake....

Just my protein shakes for the day brings me to 632   calories 38   carbs 6   fat and 108   protein...so when you add lunch...I'm over 40 grams of carbs!!!

USAF Wife
on 9/18/11 11:02 pm
I would venture to guess that it's due to the milk in the protein shakes. Once you get to solids, and can eat foods that are more protein dense, you'll be able to ditch the protein and the carbs.

For me, meat, cheese, eggs, greek yogurt is what kept me below 40gr of carbs.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

bluehen
on 9/18/11 11:06 pm - New York, NY
Whoa!  Don't know why my question posted like it did!
I guess a couple of more weeks and I can venture onto to solids...and finally move away from the shakes!  :D
Then my next question is...being that we can only eat so much...are you still able to get in a minimum of 80g of protein a day w/o the shakes???  My doctor and nutritionist really emphasize the protein count...
USAF Wife
on 9/18/11 11:32 pm
2-3oz of chicken is 20-25gr of protein throw in some cheese and bam you have quite a bit of protein in a single meal. For me, it was a lot of substitution, and getting creative with different combinations of foods to make that meal count.

I stayed on mushies/purees/soft foods until I was around 3.5 months out. Grant it, my mushies/purees/softs included scallops, fish, meats, chicken/tuna/egg salads mixed with greek yogurt. My required protein goal was 60gr per day, I hit that and then some by eating 4 meals per day with a minimum of 15gr of protein per meal. The daily recommended intake for protein is 50gr for normies, we need the extra post-op for recovery and energy and muscle preservation. Plus, it helps us stayed satisfied longer. All surgeons emphasize protein for various reasons so we all gotta get it in. Some people never count carbs or count this net carb thing. Their bodies allow them to do this and continue to lose weight. I couldn't do this, and I was fairly sedentary through my losing stage because of complications due to being a revision patient. Plus, I had plenty of fat stores to support my energy needs. I still hate to eat a lot of carbs. My body hates me when I eat them. And, I have to eat ****pots of carbs in my pregnancy along with 100gr of protein. Admittedly, I've missed my protein goal more than I care to discuss, but it's directly related to the fact that my baby bump is enormous, and Tatum is super high up. When I eat solids, I have limited capacity again which sucks because I'm relying on soft foods again to get my protein in.

I personally never used shakes. I developed lactose intolerance post-VSG, and could not consume milk or whey protein products. After trying over 20 different brands, flavors and whey/soy/veggie proteins, I gave up with permission from my surgeon. He advocates getting off protein drinks asap anyways so I was more than happy to oblige. They made me puke which compromised my hydration levels and made it too difficult to eat. Kind of a catch 22 situation early out, but then again, I would have rather stayed hydrated, be able to eat vs. puking, induce more swelling, and fall behind on other necessary fluids/foods.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 11:03 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4452033/Peeking-into-l ow-calorie-eating-at-2-years-out/

That is a post I just made and the food alone gives you 80 g of protein and under 13 g of carbs.

I do not know what all your numbers mean but your milk, think about trading it for something like unsweetened almond milk that is 3 carbs for a cup? 

are you still on mushy stuff? I am not sure where you are in your food progression.  The food I have listed, I have shredded the chicken, so subtracting the celery, it could be mushylike.
bluehen
on 9/18/11 11:09 pm - New York, NY
yeah...i have no idea why my question posted the way it did :\
thank you for the link!  i will definitely take a look!
right now i'm 6 weeks and am allowed to have mushy foods and starting this week (and for the next couple of weeks) allowed soft foods.  
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 11:19 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Sometimes things are wonky!  :}

Okay, I took pictures of 2 of the things I have left, and one fits under 1/2 cup and 1 (without celery) fits in 1/4 cup.

Now, for me - I might at your stage, cut all of that in half, portion wise and just have the nibbles, but for me, eating a "cold" salad cures the "my food keeps getting cool before I eat it" issue.

Cooking meat in the crock pot will help it be smooshier too!

Just for general information overload (which I am good at :}) I can also link you to my thread on cooking in bulk and cooking up meats in the crock and how I structure stuff because sometimes with small portions making stuff does not seem worth the effort, but if you do all your work in a batch, then good choices are always available to you!  yaay!

If you want, but I will spare you if you do not feel like drinking from the fire hose right now.  :}

bluehen
on 9/18/11 11:22 pm - New York, NY
no that would be great!  more info the better! :)  thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 11:25 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Obviously, that's how I roll too!  :}

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4386946/Cooking-in-bul k-eazy-peazy-cooking-for-you-N-the-fam/

Let me know if I comfuzzle you, I am glad to clear something up or confuse you further, whichever is most appropriate at the time.  :}
Stella S.
on 9/18/11 11:10 pm
I also agree with your doctor and nutritionist.  I've lost over 200 pounds in my first year and never counted a carb until I started my marathon training.  Now I eat close to 300 g daily! 

We all know what junk is in our diets.  So in my mind, just stay away from those simple, refined, highly processed carbs and you will be fine. 

Do you exercise? 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views